New Lounger
    Thanks

Share outlook without server (Office 2003)

In the last couple of months I have acquired a new computer which is connected by a simple CAT 5 cable. Both computers are running Windows XP Pro with Office 2003.

We have been talking how we can share one calendar, task list, inbox etc. The way we want to work is not to maintain separate .pst files. It appears that Office 2003 will only view the common calendar through a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server. We do not want to acquire yet another computer which will not only be underutilised but would be a waste to time, effort, money, electricity, more noise etc etc.

As far as I can see there are two options, one is to get computer 2 to look at computer 1 .pst file. But this will lock computer 1 out of Outlook 2003 when in use by computer 2 and visa versa.

A computer engineer suggested the second option which is to acquire a synchronisation program so that each has its own .pst file which is then updated automatically, but he had no experience of such programs. I have looked at the web sites of a number of such programs but wonder which is the best one to use.

Has anyone linked Outlook 2003 in this way before and has some experience that they would care to share? Whilst writing I realise that this could easily be one person synchronise a note book .pst calendar with a desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Share outlook without server (Office 2003)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

The following link should give you a number of methods of resolving this problem.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

Hope it helps
    John