Thanks

Contacts Out of Sync (MSO 2003)

UPDATE:

I'm sure as heck not sure how or why, but I just tried the import again (after deleting all the previous contacts entered into the "new" PST) and by golly it worked.

Again, I'm not in any way clear on what went wrong, or what fixed it, but it did and it is...

If anybody could point me toward something to help explain this I would appreciate it. I cannot seem to find anything, it all seems to assume that everything will go as planned, with no real discussion of the problems possible...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

I just set up a new PST file. Then I moved all the messages over from my old file, folder by folder, using the right-click move. All this went fine.

Then I moved over the Calendar, same way, same fine result. Tasks, same thing.

But when I did it to my Contacts (having the new PST already open, opening the old one (in addition), selecting all contacts in the old PST, right-click, select "move", select Contacts folder in new PST) it didn't apparently work right.

All the Contacts show up fine when I am in the Contacts view. But if I'm in the Mail view, and create a new mail item, and push the "From" button, I get an error:

"The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this Contacts list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permission. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address book, see Microsoft Office Outlook Help."

That's right: HELP.

I don't want to remove anything, do I?

What the heck do I do now?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts Out of Sync (MSO 2003)

Have you set up the Contacts folder in the new PST to show as an Outlook Address Book - right-click|Properties|Outlook Address Book|Show this folder as an Outlook Address Book? HTH
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

I am (too often I know) setting up Outlook from scratch.

In 2K, I could just bring over the PST file, and it would open properly. But in 2003, I've even had (as this last one ) problems if I'd exported the Contacts (especially) and import them into a new PST.

Why, and why the Contacts especially? Is there something specific I can do to avoid issues?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

I ran into a similar problem whem I upgraded and no one else did. What I ended up doing to share my contacts was to export them into a comma deliminated file. When the users of '97 and '00 imported them all was good.
    Might try that.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

I *think*, gleaned from the last duel, that the way to *not* do it is any kind of "moving" of the folders.

You can export / import the actual contacts themselves... But it seems that you (I) still have to jimmy around the Contacts / address book connection in Outlook...

I should have kept notes the last time... It's got something to do with the linking with the various folders. Seems that "ghost" links can get into the equation fairly easily, and then you are *scr****". Doesn't matter if you start with a blank new pst file either, 'cause I've done that, to no avail...

Ah well, not-taking is a skill I obviously am going to have to hone to a better edge.

Regards,
    Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you by any chance importing into the new "mega-size" default folder type in Outlook 2003 - as part of your upgrade? This may be the root of some of your problems. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

The new *what*?

Regards,
    Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On looking at my post, I see I said "folder" when I meant PST? Sorry. Are you using the default new version of PST files to import your data, rather than the 97-2002 version of PST files. If you are, then you may be uncovering some kind of lurking issue. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

I was trying to import the pst directly... Not trying to maintain 97/98/2000 compatability... Just let 2003 open the PST as it wanted..

I think there is some issue with the linking of the address book though... I had exported Contacts (separate pst), and then imported them into the new file...

They import fine, but the connect to the Contacts link for the messages "From" button seems to need some work... Or else some further documentation. Either it's wrong as of now, or incomplete. I think the latter, 'cause I was able to fix it... Almost tempted to do it all over so I can document the steps...

For another day, I think...

Thanks,
    Chuck

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people
    who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

~ Mark Twain