Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fonts don't appear in drop-down list (XP)

I am running Office XP installed on Windows 98. I added 4 fonts to the Windows Fonts folder (I received them as e-mail attachments and saved them in Windows Fonts folder) but they don't appear in the fonts drop-down list in Word (XP). Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fonts don't appear in drop-down list (XP)

Just saving font files in the C:WindowsFonts folder may not be enough. You must install them using the Fonts control panel; select File | Install New Font... in this control panel.

Also, Word only lists fonts that can be printed on your printer. Font files with extension .fon are not listed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to be on the safe side I deleted the fonts from the Fonts folder and saved them elsewhere and then installed them as per your instructions. Then rebooted to be extra safe. They still don't show (they're not .fon files but .ttf). so it must be that the printer can't print them.

Thanks anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you post the names of the problem fonts, someone may have information about them.

Thanks

Windows usually can print any TrueType font to any printer. If it can't download the font to the printer, or match up a close cousin among the printer fonts (e.g., Book Antiqua printed using Palatino), it will download the characters as bitmaps. (At least, this is what happens with HP Laserjet 4/5/4050/etc. printers.)