New Lounger
    Thanks

Dynamic Text Links ? (2002)

I know VBA from Excel but I am very new with Powerpoint so please forgive me if this is obvious...

Is there any way to have a **running** presentation pull text from files and display that text in area of a slide.
    What I need is something like this:

Slide1 reads info1.txt and displays it.
    Slide2 reads info2.txt and displays it.
    Slide3 .. etc
    Slide9 reads info9.txt and displays it.
    Loop to Slide1 and start again -- info#.txt files may have changed

An optional plus would be if a specific info#.txt file did not exist then that slide would be skipped in the display.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The text may be one or more lines and may need to wrap inside a textbox area.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dynamic Text Links ? (2002)

I'm not sure I understand the scenario you envision, but links to Office documents are in general dynamic. However I don't believe they will change on the fly while the Slide Show is actually running. So I presume you will need to create some code to check and see if the file has been updated from the last information you have stored on the current slide, and then update it when it has. Since text/Word documents are inherently single user, you may also run into some interesting problems with file locks if the information is being updated.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm trying to build a real-time communication marquee display. I work in a kind of helpdesk environment and we have a large-ish flatscreen monitor on the wall that is normally only used for training.

Each of the txt files will contain one active call and describe its status so that management can see what we are working on without bugging us while we're on the phone. Powerpoint will make it look professional.

The txt file could be a shared Excel file I suppose, with one row for each call ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

After chewing on your situation for a while, I'm not sure PowerPoint is the best vehicle to do what you suggest. It's VBA environment is more limited than those of Excel, Word or Access, and my suspicion is that you would encounter a number of challenges in creating something workable. The problem with using an Excel file, is that they can't be shared for updating purposes. I would suggest instead using a small Access database (showing my own biases), and do the actual display of the text using an Access form. That would provide a platform where the individual call details could be entered by multiple users, and you would be able to additional data capture about the call and the ultimate outcome. You could also get more sophisticated and capture some of the data directly from the phone system if it is a reasonably sophisticated version.
    Wendell

Thanks

This might be a good application for JavaScript or VBScript, either on the client side or on the server side. Browsers offer a lot of display flexibility, and scripting lets them refresh to a new page after a defined interval. By using a single page and an IFRAME or even a DIV or TABLE, you could keep a single set of code running; but while it would be very inefficient to keep loading new pages that read a database, I don't think that's a big problem for reading text files.