Star Lounger
    Thanks

field truncating in report (2000)

I have report where the fields are truncating. The property of the field in the table is memo. The text boxes are also set to can grow.....can you help me??
    THANKS!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: field truncating in report (2000)

Have you set some kind of format for the text box or memo field? See ACC2000: Formatted Memo Field Appears to Truncate Data After 255 Characters.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I researched this problem further and found that it was in the query that the truncation actually begins. Where can I find out about defaults in query fields? Maybe it has something to do with that. The memo field in the table seems to display all the data...the query truncates it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you just added the memo field to the query grid, or do you perform some kind of operation on it? If you're not sure, could you open the query in design view, then select View | SQL, and copy the text you see into a reply?
    Or have you set a format on the field in the query? To check this, click in the field (in design view) and look at the Properties window.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SELECT [Threat Types].[Threat Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Sub Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Specifics], [Threat Types].Facility, Sum([1 - Probability]+[2 - Impact People]+[3 - Impact Property]+[4 - Impact Sales]+[5 - Mitigation Internal]+[6 - Mitigation External]) AS [threat totals], [Threat Types].[1 - Probability], [Threat Types].[2 - Impact People], [Threat Types].[3 - Impact Property], [Threat Types].[4 - Impact Sales], [Threat Types].[5 - Mitigation Internal], [Threat Types].[6 - Mitigation External], [Threat Types].Primary
    FROM [Threat Types]
    GROUP BY [Threat Types].[Threat Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Sub Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Specifics], [Threat Types].Facility, [Threat Types].[1 - Probability], [Threat Types].[2 - Impact People], [Threat Types].[3 - Impact Property], [Threat Types].[4 - Impact Sales], [Threat Types].[5 - Mitigation Internal], [Threat Types].[6 - Mitigation External], [Threat Types].Primary
    ORDER BY [Threat Types].[Threat Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Sub Type], [Threat Types].[Threat Specifics];

The field with the problem is facility. I looked at the properties for that field in design view and there is no formatting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, you're grouping a totals query on a memo field. That is another cause of truncation. You probably don't really need to group by the memo field. Try changing the Total option for Facility from Group By to First.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I just found this thread while searching on the same topic.

I too have a report where I have found that a memo field is being truncated after 255 characters, and also find that the truncating is happening in the query.

I have found this article in Knowledge Base which explains that memo fields get truncated in queries when you have the UniqueValues query property to Yes.

"The DISTINCT keyword directs Access to perform a comparison between records. When Access performs a comparison between two Memo fields, Access treats the fields as Text fields that have a 255-character limit."

Sure enough my query has the Unique Values property set to Yes, and when I remove it, the field is no longer truncated. Unfortunately I also get multiple records.

I got around it by displaying the memo field in the report using a DLookup, but I will have a think about my options.
    Regards
    John