3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change the file names (word 2000)

How can i change the file name extension in word?
    I want to have an extension without .doc

On opening a word document, i receive the following extension:

New Microsoft Word Document .doc

If i want to change the name of the document i get the following message:
    " If you change a filename extension, the file may become unusable "

How can i change the names of all the files without the extenstion .doc ?
    And why do i receive sucn an error.Prevuously, with the same disk, i didnt get such problems

Thank you in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change the file names (word 2000)

Windows uses the file extensions to determine which application should be used to open a file, for example

.doc - Word
    .xls - Excel
    .ppt - PowerPoint
    .mdb - Access

etcetera. If you remove the extension, Windows won't know how to open the file any more, so it is NOT a good idea to remove the extension.

You can HIDE the extensions for known file types:
    - Start Windows Explorer.
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the View tab.
    - Tick the check box labeled "Hide extensions for known file types" in the list of Advanced Settings.
    - Click OK.
    This only makes the extensions invisible, but it doesn't remove them. This is NOT a good idea either. Seeing the extensions is very useful. Some e-mail viruses hide the real extension of an attachment by using an extra fake extension. Displaying all extensions helps you to recognize this.

Thanks

I definitely agree with Hans (as does Woody Himself) that the "Hide extension" option is a bad idea.

On the other hand, I don't consider removing a file's extension to be a terrible thing to do, as long as you have a good reason and understand the consequences. The Windows warning about the file becoming "unusable" is a bit overblown, if you ask me. You'll always get that warning if the extension you're trying to change is associated with a particular application (see Tools-->Folder Options-->FileTypes in Explorer), so that Windows automatically knows which application to use to open the file. Removing or changing such an extension will not otherwise change or damage the file in any way.

So, for example, if you have a file named MyNotes.doc, and you change the name to MyNotes.2005 (or just MyNotes), the result will be that if you try to open the file from outside Word by simply double-clicking on it, Windows won't know it's a Word file and so will ask you what application it should use (rather than opening the file in Word automatically). You'll still be able to open the file by double-clicking it if you're already in Word and you're using Word's file-opening dialog. (But note that you won't see the file listed unless you're showing All Files in the dialog, rather than just the files ending in .doc.)

Thanks

When you use Save As, you can override the default behavior of tacking on the application's default extension by putting the entire file name in quotation marks. For example, to save a document in Plain Text format but with a .htm extension, you could put this in the file name box: "mywebpage.htm" and Word will not add on .txt (or .doc or anything else). This works for many Windows applications that automatically tack on their preferred extensions.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip (which I'd forgotten, if I ever knew it), although it looks like you need to give the file some extension to avoid having the ".doc" tacked on. Trying to save as either "MyNotes" or "MyNotes." (with a period at the end) results in "MyNotes.doc". Is there a trick that allows an extension-less save?

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

sorry -- I have to ask "Why"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I am very curious; what advantage do you expect to obtain by removing the file extensions?
    Regards
    Don