New Lounger
    Thanks

Xp, Win98,AOL, Norton connundrum

Hello, first post, so please bear with me. I have just set up a peer-to-peer network through Cat-5 cables. The network is between a Windows XP machine and a Windows 98 machine. My DSL modem runs through the XP machine. I can file share and printer share OK.

The XP machine runs AOL9 fine. The Windows 98 machine was running AOL7 through a dial up modem, but I have now upgraded that to AOL9.

The Windows 98 machine cannot now log in to AOL with the message that it is being prevented from doing so by a Norton Firewall.

Although I use Norton Antivirus 2004 on the Windows XP machine, I have the Microsoft Windows firewall configured. I have Norton System Works 2003 on the Windows 98 machine, but I cannot find any trace of any firewall software on it.

The good people of AOL suggested I remove the Norton software from my Windows 98 machine, but when I ControlPanel-Add/Remove Programs, and try to Remove it, it thinks I'm trying to install it. I don't really want to do a dirty delete on it because it strikes me as a rather insiduous bit of software in the file structure and register stakes.

Now AOL have suggested I talk to Norton.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Re: Xp, Win98,AOL, Norton connundrum

It could be that AOL is not recognizing the XP firewall correctly and just puts out a 'best' guess. Do you have XP SP-2 installed? Have you seen these Microsoft articles How to enable Internet Connection Sharing on a home or a small office network connection in Windows XP and Description of the Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I have XP SP-2 installed.

To update, I have taken the advice of AOL and uninstalled Norton SystemWorks 2003 from the Windows 98 machine. It now fails to connect to the internet with the messages:

1. Check physical connection - I have it's OK
    2. Restart computer
    3. Try connecting to the AOL service again.

"This message could be the result of active firewall software on your computer restricting the AOL software from making a connection. If you have firewall installed, please configure it to allow the AOL software (AOLacds.exe and waol.exe)"

I've had a look at the links you posted and followed the instructions until I reached:

"Under Internet Connection Sharing in Home networking connection, select the connection that connects the computer that is sharing its Internet connection to the other computers on your network."

I cannot see that in the "Local Area Connection Properties" "Advanced" frame.

I originally used the Wizard to set up the network. However, i set up the network then upgraded to AOL9 on the Windows 98 machine.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Did you look at How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP? Be sure you are making the changes on the appropriate machine.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again. OK, I've now looked at that page.

I think I have followed that passage entitled "How to use Internet Connection Sharing" alothugh it is slightly confusing because it talks about dial-up and not broadband.

It becomes more confusing during the passage entitled "On the client computer". The client (Windows 980 computer doesn't have "Network and Internet Connections" in the Control Panel. It has got "Network" and when I click on that the frame displayed does not refer to "Local Area Connection". It does display a box for "The following network components are installed" and displays the following:

Client For Microsoft Windows
    Microsoft Family Login
    AOL Adapter
    AOL Dial-Up Adapter
    Dial-Up Adapter
    Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    F5D5000, PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    WAN Miniport (ATW)
    NDISWAN -> Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    NDISWAN -> WAN Miniport (ATW)
    TCP/IP -> AOL Adapter
    TCP/IP -> AOL Dial-Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    TCP/IP -> F5D5000, PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card
    File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

If I highlight TCP/IP -> AOL Adapter, it displays that I have checked "Obtain an IP Address automatically".

If I "OK" from that screen, then OK the "Network" frame, I'm asked to insert the disk labeled "Windows 98 CD-ROM" !

When I try to follow the passage "To configure the client computer to use the shared Internet connection, follow these steps:" I can only click on "Internet Options" in "Control Panel". I can go to the Connections tab, and then click on "Set-up", but it displays the "Internet Connection Wizard". I can then chose to connect through a LAN, set it so it uses "Automatic discovery of proxy server" and then it displays a screen that is called Local area network Internet configuration".

It asks for "Proxy to use" and Port. What should I be putting in there?

(This wizard never at any point talks about connecting through broadband)

Rob