Lounger
    Thanks

IE timing out (XP+SP2 IE 6)

I have a strange problem with IE. When searching some sites are quick and some time out every time. I just spent an hour pinging various sites and returns average from 50ms to 75ms on sites that return and others nothing but time outs. I pinged 12 different sites and about half go and the other half time out. Of course the ones I really want are the ones timing out. I ran Tracert on the one site I really wanted and after 11 hops, every hop timed out up to the 30 max. I have Broadband with Comcast, have had the techs out here, called the tech service line and they say it is a system problem. They thought it might be a combination of my firewall, Zone Alarm Pro and SP2, but I turned of the firewall, and it didn't make any difference. I have done all the normal stuff, empty the cache, dumped history and cookies, scan disc and defrag and nothing makes any difference. I just can't understand why there is so much difference in the ping results. Help please!

Thanks

Re: IE timing out (XP+SP2 IE 6)

Try an intermediary such as http://www.anonymizer.com/. If that loads more quickly (difficult to imagine, because the free version is intentionally delayed) it may be your computer has a DNS problem, that is, a problem getting to the name servers for the desired domains. Just a thought.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: IE timing out (XP+SP2 IE 6)

Have you tried any of the speed tests?
    I use DSLrepoerts.com

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.