New Lounger
    Thanks

Comment formatting

Is it possible to set a default format for cell comments? (I'm sure it must be possible, I just haven't found it). Currently, the comments are formatted in Tahoma 8-point, with my user name in bold.

I'm running Excel 97 SR-2 on a Pentium III machine with Windows 2000 Professional OS.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Comment formatting

I do not know of any way to change the default format of comments.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can change the formatting of the comment box, but must do it by way of Display Properties in the control panel as it is based on a windows setting. If you select the Appearance tab from the Display Properties dialog, and then select Tooltip from the the Item dropdown list and set whatever formatting you wish for that, and it will apply to all new comments in Excel afterwards.

But just be aware that it changes the tooltip display right across all windows applications, so you might want to be selective in your formatting.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Excel97 with WindowsNT 4.0. I changed the font, size and color from Control Panel, Appearance, Tooltip. While all the formatting was applied to the tooltips, only the color and font size were applied to Excel comments.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Work Around:
    I get around having to format each time, by copying the cell containing a formatted comment and using Paste | Special | Comments.
    I have added a Paste Comments button to my toolbar.

Ruth

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How did you add a Paste Comments button to the toolbar?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I really use is a Paste Special button. From Tools Customise (or View Toolbars Customise) go to the Commands tab and down to the Edit category. On the right hand side, from the list of edit commands, choose PasteSpecial... and drag it onto the toolbar (next to the Paste icon perhaps).
    Then I clicked on the Paste Formatting button (or the Paste Values button) which I had already on the toolbar, and chose Modify Selection and CopyButtonImage. Then click on the PasteSpecial button and from ModifySelection choose Paste Button Image, then Edit Button Image and delete inside of the clipboard and put in S. Also change in Modify Selection to show Default Style (or ImageAndText, or as you want).
    If you want it to be PasteComments only, then you have to create a macro to do the paste comments actions and use the AssignMacro in ModifySelection.
    Do you need such a macro?
    Ruth

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Ruth. I ended up using a macro, but I appreciate your explanation.