New Lounger
    Thanks

Object defaults in template (Office 2002)

How do I set object (e.g. line weight, shape fill colours, text box font) style defaults in a template (POT)? I can't find any help on the subject.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object defaults in template (Office 2002)

In Powerpoint 2002 or later you can change fill colors, text colors, accent colors etc. by :
    Select a template in the design template task pane
    Click the Color Schemes jump in the lop of the task pane.
    With the color scheme you are using selected click the Edit Color Scheme jump in the bottom of the task pane.
    If you want to change line weights or move placeholders:
    Select View Master Slide Master and make changes to the Master Slide or the Title Master and the changes will apply to the slides in the presentation.
    If you want to save these changes into a custom template for later use delete any slides and save the changes to a named template. To see the new template in the design templates task pane you have to close adn repoen PowerPoint.
    Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Carla, thanks. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Following your instructions while working in a POT, I can set the default colours, fills etc as you describe on the toolbars - i.e. the fill colour on the fill button defaults to a weak pink, which is what I experimented with.

However, when I draw a circle, it still has No Line, and "fills" clear. Even if I fill it, select it, right click it and select "Set autoshape defualts", when I save the POT then apply to a new presentation, the same thing happens - no fill, no line.

Where am I going wrong (And where can I find documentation on working with POTs)?

Thanks...Neil

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Neil,

Try this list of steps:
    1. Open a New Presentation
    2. Change the Task Pane to Slide Design

New Lounger
    Thanks

Carla, I'm really sorry - I'm obviously not expressing myself clearly. I don't want a circle to appear on every slide I insert.

Let's explain my actual situation. I have a template that I picked up some place, in which circles default to a green fill and lines & text in text boxes default to white. I want to change the template so when I next use it for a presentation the circles have no fill and the lines & text are black.

My apologies for wasting your time to date.

Neil

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Neil,

So were pretty close. If the circles are drawn objects go to the Slide Master and change the colors and lines from there. Change them in the Title Master as well. If the circles are a background and not drawn objects then you will be limited in what you can do with them. In the color schemes area you can change the hues in general, but not the specifics. If you post an attachment I could look at what you currently have and give you a better answer.

Carla

Carla

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 31-Mar-05 14:55. )</P>On the right-click menu for a circle and other objects there is "Set AutoShape defaults, to make some of the settings of the selected object be the defaults for the next one you create. Whether this persists across presentations, across PowerPoint sessions, etc., I have no idea. But at least that way you only have to fix the formatting once in a while.

Added: Oops, you already tried that. Never mind!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Neil,

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've never found the "set as default" to work but maybe that was earlier versions.

What I end up doing is taking a circle I've already formatted and copy-pasting it to another slide. If within a slide, it's easier to just "duplicate" the object - eg, select circle and click CTRL+d. It's not ideal but it saves a lot of clicks if that's what it takes to format. If you're doing a lot of slides in a new presentation, it even pays to go back to an old presentation and copy-paste a circle or whatever from there to the new one.

That ain't the way templates are supposed to work but...

Fred