2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Record navigation during acFormAdd (2000/sp3)

Small delima here...

I've got two forms, one to view groups of data, and another to edit a specific item of the group...

The second form I pop-up either with a filter (so the user can edit only the desired group element), or in acFormAdd mode to add a new item to the group.

I have record navigation buttons disabled, and when viewing an existing record I also set allowadditions = false to prevent the user from "wheel-mousing" to an empty (add-mode) record. However, when I open the form in acFormAdd mode, allowadditions is set to true (rightly so!). And the user can then edit the new (but not-yet-saved) record. Now comes the glitch -- because allowadditions is set to true, they can still "wheel-mouse" to the NEXT new record... which I don't want. I want them to only add one record at a time, having to close the form and return to group-data-view form to then add another...

I have wondered if I should add a new record from the calling form, then open the second form in "edit" mode, and if they cancel, delete it from the calling form. That gets really messy (especially since I have a 'filename' field with 'allow zero length = NO', but don't want to prepopulate that with anything)... I'd like a simpler solution if possible.

thanks,
    ..dane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Record navigation during acFormAdd (2000/sp3)

I would use an unbound form for entering a new record.

Alternatively, you could use Stephen Lebans' MouseWheelOnOff to disable the mouse wheel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -- I like the idea of using an unbound form for new items -- but are you suggesting to have two identical forms, the difference being that one is bound and one is unbound? Or are you meaning something different?

thanks,
    ..dane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I often use a bound form for displaying / editing existing records, and another, unbound form for entering new records. The amount of resemblance depends on the situation - sometimes, the user only needs to provide the bare minimum for a new record, and additional details can be entered in the bound form; in other databases, the forms are almost identical.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FYI -- I ended up updating the process such that the calling form goes ahead and adds a new entry, preloads some values, saves the new entry (tagging it for later verification), and opens the "edit" form in edit mode; same functionality to the user, same form, same code in the opened form... When they're done, I call that record back up, and verify that all the data's good. If so, I keep. If not, I can do whatever (display error, remove the item, etc)

thanks,
    ..dane