Thread: Samba problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

Samba problem

I just installed Suse 9.2 pro to play around with and I want to share the /home partition. The Suse installation seemed to go fine but I can't access the Windows XP Pro shares from Linux and vice versa. From the windows "Network Neighborhood", I can see the linux machine as "Samba 3.0.9-2.3-SUSE (Linux)" but when I double click it I get: Linux is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

From the KDE desktop, when I click the "Network Browsing" icon and then click "Windows Network", I get: "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network." If I enter the IP # into Konquerer: smb://192.168.1.10, the Windows shares do show up. And I can get to the linux machine via Explorer if I type in the IP #.

My network consists of 2 XP Pro machines and the linux machine using a wireless Linksys router acting as a DHCP server. I can ping each machine from each machine via IP #. I cannot ping the XP boxes via name from the linux box and vice versa. So it appears to be a name resolution issue. I've been trying to follow the "Fast Start" examples on http://www.samba.org but I can't get out of the batter's box. I do not have an internal DNS server or a WINS server. I thought that Samba would broadcast the name like Windows but that does not seem to be the case. I've google'd for the above error messages and there are an enormous number of hits and the solutions run all over the map and none of them have worked for me. My smb.conf is very simple:

[global]
    workgroup = QQQQ
    security = share ??? Not sure about this. I do have the same username/pw on XP and Linux
    name resolve order = wins hosts bcast // This didn't work with it just being bcast
    dns proxy = no
    wins support = yes // This didn't seem to help either

[data]
    comment = Home
    path = /home
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes

Any Samba admins out there with any advice? Did I provide enough info?

Thanks,

Michael C.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Samba problem

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

hi again,

have a quick look at http://www.zzzzx.plus.com/websites/suse_9.1/samba.html

i am off to bed now, bye

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Samba problem

hello,

i see you have /had the same problem as i dId. I am also a total newbie in Linux. Last week I downloaded Suse10 and reinstalled it 5 times. Everything worked ok, but Samba was a different concept. I installed the KDE desktop and went to http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm for the info on how to connet to the linux machnine.
    The issues i am struggling now with are : write to the linux share in the xp machine and to see the xp machnine from the linux .

This is what I know so far and it may help you on to the right track.

Succes with the Linux machine.
    I noticed it is very fast when dealing with pictures via Gimp.