Lounger
    Thanks

Chapters, Heading Numbering, TOC contents (Word97 SR2)

I have a book with each chapter and appendix in a separate document. Also have bibliography, index, author index, etc in separate documents. I want the numbering of headings, figures and tables to start with the chapter number, but I cannot seem to get it to work. I am now using Chapter A, Chapter B, etc, but maybe will go back to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.
    I formatted the styles for the 9 heading levels to include A in front of each numbering (Format Style Modify Numbering) and it seemed to work in the document itself, but when I came to update the table of contents, the "A" disappeared.
    Ruth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chapters, Heading Numbering, TOC contents (Word97 SR2)

Are all of these documents using a single template?
    Did you modify the style in the template rather than in the individual documents?

I am pretty sure that this will work the way you want if you get both of these correct, but when I have had a similar problem I used a Master Document.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

My templates have indeed got a little out of hand. I had this problem in a single document. I thought if I got it right here I could then use organiser and make all use the same template (again - they WERE all the same but that was then.)
    I haven't got a great deal of memory/ disk space/ etc and Master Documents seemed to be problematic.
    I used Format Style and checked the "add to template" box. I have "confirm save template" and it does indeed ask that. so I think it's getting into the template. But I can't get it to use a new chapter number.

Thanks

I don't know about keeping the A in front of the numbering etc, but I too have found difficulty with Master Documents, and the advice you usually see is to avoid them. What we did with my wife's first book was to have each chapter as a separate Word file during the writing, but then insert those files into one long document for the final product, after which we generated the Table of Contents and the Index. It worked fine for us (on Word 2000 at the time) but we had taken care to have all the chapters use the same template, styles etc.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think I'm going to have enough memory to be able to join it into a single document. I want eventually to end up with it as a .pdf acrobat reader file. Maybe I can leave some of the numbering things till then?? Does anyone have any experience with Acrobat?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you're sure the correct numbering formats are in your template, reapply the styles to your document. I keep all templates (and we usually do a specific one for each job) in my templates folder to keep it handy while working on that job. Use the organizer to copy over the styles into each document. I find I usually need to do this a couple of times thru the job, depending on how much text I've imported from other sources. Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Another option is to leave all your documents as separate files and create your TOC and indexes using separate documents and the RD field. Alternatively, you can join them all up in Acrobat

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all. I will try to put it together in my head and create a consistent template and numbering system. (I did create one single template for the project but each document now seems to have its own ideas) I don't seem to be able to print out a template. The old versions of Word (when styles were stored in normal.sty) let you print them so there was an easy record.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To print a list of Styles from Word 2003. Select Print from the File menu and change the drop down box at the bottom left labelled "Print What" from "Document" to "Styles"

StuartR