New Lounger
    Thanks

Want to setup job database (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

Hello All,
    I am new to this forum, and to be honest, I know nothing about Access. However, I do know what it is capable of.
    What I am looking to do is set up a database of prior projects that I can search by one or several fields.
    The fields that I would need would be job number, name, street address, city, state, zip code, latitude, longitude, tax map section block lot. The search I would like to do is by any one or a multiple of the fields. I would also like to be able to search by a central point and specified radius for jobs, if that is at all possible.
    Can anyone help me set this up or any other help you can offer?
    Thank you in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Want to setup job database (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Some parts of what you want will be relatively easy - the data structure of what you describe is not particularly complicated. But providing advanced search capabilities will almost certainly involve programming in Visual Basic. Even if you are familiar with VBA in Word or Excel, for example, it will take time to get used to the Access object model. If you are intending to do more with Access, it may be worth investing time and effort to learn how to design and program a database, but if it's a one-time project, it might be more convenient to let someone with Access experience create it for you. (It also depends on your budget, of course).

The following assumes that you decide to create the database yourself.

It is useful to have a basic knowledge of how relational database design works. Many books about Access provide an introduction, and Microsoft has a short document: ACC2000: "Understanding Relational Database Design" Document Available in Download Center.

If you select File | New... in Access, and activate the Databases tab of the Templates dialog, you can create various types of databases complete with tables, queries, forms and reports. It pays to study one of these databases, it'll give you an idea of how the objects in a database relate to each other.

When you are ready to create your own database, start by designing the table structure on paper, then create the tables.
    Next, you can create a form to enter, edit and view data. Access provides a Wizard and several types of AutoForms.

Searching by distance from a central point will be a challenge - it will involve non-trivial calculations in Visual Basic. But that's a long way off, I'd concentrate on the basics first. We can help you when you get to it.

Feel free to ask questions as you go along. Good luck!