Lounger
    Thanks

Blcoked outgoing attachments (Outlook 2003)

Whne I try to send some attachemnts, says .EXE files, Outlook does not send the message and when I open it in the outboox it says: "Outlook blocked access to the following potential unsafe attachments..".

How can I turn off this "security feature?"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blcoked outgoing attachments (Outlook 2003)

This is a virus prevention issue, think carefully before modifying the default behavior. Slipstick has good coverage of the issue, and see also <!mskb=829982>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 829982<!/mskb>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue here is NOT the blocking of incoming attachments -- it is that Outlook prevents me from _sending_ an EXE file (such as a program update).

I would expect the recipients of the file to deal with it cautiously: ie run it through ther AV program before running it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This setting also prevents your machine from being used by a program, script and etc from sending the exe file. Some of the worms and etc have become very smart, one needs to CONTROL what is being sent.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's my understanding that the same registry setting is also applied to outgoing messages. Post back if that's not the case, I'm interested in hearing about it. Also, the Slipstick URL above has a number of products which you can review further, including some that allow you to make on-the-fly exceptions.

I must echo DaveA's comments that this is a dangerous practice. Virus protection software is always playing catch-up with new viruses, not the other way around. So the use of an AV program is not a guarantee of invincibility. You can see from the listing of prevented file types in the KB I noted that there's a huge number of entry portals for malicious scripts and programs.

In any case it's quite easy to get around the security 'feature' by renaming the file. When I need to send someone an EXE file, I rename it '*.EX_' and include a message about what it does, and advise them to rename it before use.

I hope this helps, and I don't mean to lecture you, I'm sure you know what you're doing.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I suppose the real answer to security is just to "pull the plug.: No one got a virus from a postal letter (at least not the electronic kind).

For the moment, however, I'll leave the settings as they are and, as you suggest, rename the file or ZIP it.)

Thanks for your commnets.