Lounger
    Thanks

Outputto in Access 2003 (2003)

Hello All,

I have a database created with Access XP but in Access 2000 format so coworkers can use it. IT recently upgraded my computer to Access 2003. Since then none of my subs with OutputTo commands work. I don't get any error messages, Access just crashes.

I tried converting my database to 2003 format, and then the subs work but much slower than before. Can anybody tell me what is going on here?

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Outputto in Access 2003 (2003)

What service pack to you have applied to 2003? If you don't have SP1 you should install it. In addition, you may be getting tangled up with the SandBox mode - Access 2003 tightened the security settings considerably, and may be affecting you. If you do a search on the Access forum for "sandbox" you will find several threads dealing with the subject.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

I've requested an upgrade to SP1, but I'm stuck waiting for my IT dept to respond because I don't have administrative rights [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

I did some research on Sandbox mode. I seem to have the latest Jet version (4.0 SP8). I tried changing the Sandbox security level in the Registry to medium (2), but that didn't help (just resulted in mutliple security warnings whenever I open a databse).

I've noticed that my computer's CPU usage goes up to 100% when I start my export sub and stays there until it is finished. I never checked to see if this happened with Access XP. The sub will usually run (although taking 5X as long as with Access XP) as long as I don't try doing anything else with my computer. Even switching to another window or receiving an email makes Access crash. No error message, no message from Windows that Access needs to be shut down, I just can see by the progress bar that the sub has stopped running queries and the Task Manager confirms that Access is not responding.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks, Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm not sure SP1 will solve your performance problem, but I would certainly push to get it installed, as it fixes several know inconsistencies. In order to get rid of the security messages completely you will need to either set you security to low (which is probably not desirable), or turn off macro security (also not desirable). I also believe that SP1 fix is also necessary to make the sandbox mode work completely as it should.

The 100% CPU is a common behavior of Access - anytime you are running queries that take a lengthy period of time you will see that happen regardless of version. The crash should not happen but the Task Manager reporting that Access is not responding is not reliable. If you switch to Outlook for example, and just wait, the export process may well finish. My suggestion at this point is to campaign for SP1 of Office 2003, and hang in there with the export process until you get it.
    Wendell