Lounger
    Thanks

Share Files on Network (XP-SP2 Home)

Have just set up wireless network between desktop and laptop. Everything works between pc's. Am able to exchange info and access most shared files. My problem is that I have some folders that reside on a desktop drive, which is shared, in which I can't access all of the files in the folder (they are not shown when displaying the folder directory) on the laptop.
    In other words Folder A shows File 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the desktop and File 3, 4, 5 on the laptop. The files are user files such as xls, doc, etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Share Files on Network (XP-SP2 Home)

Is there any more info about the "missing" files that you can share? Is the file system on the desktop NTFS or FAT? Do you have any 3rd party software running for the protection of selected files? I know I'm on a fishing trip here, but I can't think of a reason why certain files within a folder would not be visible. I could understand if a complete folder was not showing up - there could be reasons for that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure that both PCs are running Windows XP home, this would be easy to reproduce on Windows XP Professional by careful choice of file permissions.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Bigal:
    The one thing I forgot to mention is that when I hover the mouse pointer or these folders on the laptop a popup "Folder is Empty" shows. But when the folder is opened it is as I described befor.
    The file system on both pc's is NTFS.
    No 3rd party software that I know of (Like what)?
    Have not verified that any folders are missing as yet.
    I like fishing trips, never know what will turn up.

Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:

Yes, I am sure both systems are running XP-SP2 Home. Up-to-date patch wise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a random guess, have a look at the file attributes to see if you have any hidden files.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't have any particular 3rd party program in mind. I was just thinking that YOU might be running something on one or both of the machines that "protects" selected files from sharing. I don't run XP Home so I can't answer any better what NTFS security options are available on Home as opposed to Pro. You might carefully compare the file properties of a file that does appear against one that doesn't to see if you can spot something different. It might entail going through a few screens, but I'm out of ideas at this point.

Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart - Bigal:
    File attributes are the same.

However, I did fine this thread on Lockergnome's Problem Solvers -

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=32723

Following suggestions there, I was able to use the desktop IP address to define the path in the address bar and it worked. All files were available.

The thread mentions removing KB885250 to permently solve the problem. This KB is installed on both machines. How can it be uninstalled (it doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs) and does it need to be unstalled from both systems??

Thanks for your thoughts on this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could that be you at the recent end of that referenced thread? If it is, would you let us know if the "removal" fix works for you?

!AEH!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> How can it be uninstalled (it doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs)

Make sure you have checked the "Show Updates" box at the very top of the Add or Remove programs window.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Bigal:
    Yea - that was me one that other thread. Fishing in multiple spots at the same time sometimes generates results. True for solving problems as well as the sport.

Here's what I did:
    1. Using the IP address to navigate on the laptop to one of the folders in question allowed me to see and open all the files. Did not seem to fail after that, no matter which direction I tried to navigate to it from. System always seemed to use the IP address instead the PC name.
    2. Did a System Restore back to when the problem was apparent. Problem was there.
    3. Removed KB885250 from the system (thanks Stuart) and everything works like it should. No need to use IP address to navigate to files on other PC.

Looks like the problem is solved.
    Thanks guys.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for keeping everyone informed of what worked. Some future Lounger may save himself a little trouble thanks to your writing! Good luck...