4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FTP link no longer working

I have a webpage that is hosted on my Mindspring account where readers of a book I published a long time ago can download files referenced in the book. It is at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ronnyrichardson...eet/sheets.html

I set it up and got everything working just fine. The files to download were in the ftp subdirectory and the links to download them look similar to this example:

<h3>DIALOG.DLG (1K)</h3>

That worked for a long time but now it generates a "530 Login incorrect" error message. I tried calling Earthlink (owns Mindspring) technical support twice. Both times they could not figure out what was wrong and said someone would get back to me. They never did. I tried emailing technical support but they just emailed me back saying I needed to call. I've been with Mindspring/Earthlink for years and they used to have great support but here lately it's been moved overseas and is terrible.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might approach correcting the problem?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FTP link no longer working

Ronny, I think you're gonna have to go higher up in the chain of command at Earthlink/Mindspring to find someone who can tell you what has gone wrong with your FTP access. I've tried every variation on your FTP links that I can come up with and can't get to the files either - same message as you got. Surely it must be something simple like a password or form of the link or something like that. I just can't get past the error message and so far the only thing I can find is something like this: http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/WS-19980508-BK03.htm

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This is very much "off the top of my head", but if you changed the link to a TXT file (or some other "more generally recognised" extension) would the problem continue? HTH
    Gre

cgschlangen

Sounds to me like Mindspring removed permissions to the folder for the "anonymous" user....
    Check out what web monkey has to say on the situation:

If you want to put files on your FTP server for others to access, you'll need to ask your server administrator or check the manual for your FTP software. Files for anonymous users usually need to be put in a specific place to be accessible. Unless you move your files into this public area, no one will be able to access them.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/96/46/index3a.html