Lounger
    Thanks

Envelope Return Address (MS Word 2000/Office)

I'm running MS Word in Office 2000 on XP Pro. When I print an envelope, the return address is not there even though the omitted box is NOT checked. When I put the envelope "in a document" the return address is there, but it just doesn't print on the envelope.

I checked MS Support and there is a "known issue" and they say to change the insertion point as the return address insertion point is too close to other text/too far out of the printable area. So how do I do that? Anyone ever have this and how did you fix it?

Thanks,
    Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Envelope Return Address (MS Word 2000/Office)

Are you referring to WD2000: Return Address Does Not Print or Appear on Envelopes Tab? It only applies to envelopes added to the document. The suggestion is to click somewhere in the envelope before printing.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that the one I was talking about. But just clicking in the doc doesn't work either. I can edit the text there, but it does nothing for the print problem.

I did a search here and tried some of the solutions...going into the styles, drivers, etc. I have a Xerox WorkCentre 390 all in one and have the updated drivers. There is only one on the Xerox site and that is an XP driver. I tried uninstalling that XP driver and using the 2000 driver and that did not work either. When I go into styles, I changed some of the settings that someone recommended on here. It was a screen shot with the settings. I changed them and the setting do not save. When I go back into the settings on a different doc, it reverts back to the old setting and not the ones I've changed.

The problem is that the return address is outside the printable area...at least that is what I think by looking at the doc. The margins for the section are inside the return address so that tells me that I have to extend the margins. But when I do that, I get the error message about the margins being outside and Word automatically "fixes" it and changes the page setup margins. But the text of the return address stays the same.

Another thing I noticed is that on the doc, the regular address is in a text box with a frame (not a viewable frame). Yet the return address is NOT in a frame.

The return address worked before as I had used it several times even after upgrading to XP. So this is recent where it "all of a sudden changed and no longer works". ;-)

Does this explain or help any further...or just make it more confusing? I just wish I had an HP, then I would KNOW it was a driver issue as was said in lots of posts before. But that would be too easy!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a copy of the document (with most or all of the text in the main document removed, and the addresses in the envelope replaced with dummy addresses)? Perhaps there is a Lounger out there who also uses Word 2000 and a Xerox WorkCentre 390...

Thanks

You might check the style definition for Envelope Return. Does it have any strange indents or line spacing, or inherit properties from an inappropriate style?

Lounger
    Thanks

Nope...the style description is "Normal + Font: Arial, 10 pt, Small Caps". I have tried to modify the style using the frame settings and the changes do not stay. But they don't work anyway when I change them. If you want a listing of the actual settings on this frame setup, I can give you a screen shot if you tell me how. ;-)

So to answer your question, no I don't think there are any strange settings except the margins outside of the printing area...and those I can't seem to change.

Thanks!

Thanks

I suppose there is a slim chance that Normal has a negative left indent (an "outdent") in this document, but not highly likely... Sorry, nothing else comes to mind.