Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Removing IE 6.0 (6.0 XPP Sp2)

I believe I need to uninstall IE 6 and I am using XPP SP2 as the OS. The help file said to uninstall it from the control panel but I do not see it there. How do I uninstall it and where do I get the file to reinstall it. Is it on the original XPP CD? If so is it an option that can be installed without messing up the remaining XP operating system? Once reinstalled I assume I must update it again.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Thanks

Re: Removing IE 6.0 (6.0 XPP Sp2)

hlewton.

Check out this MSKB article. IE6

The reinstall should be on the CD.

Also check this post. <post#=356039>post 356039</post#>
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Viking33,

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Viking33,

Unless I'm missing something in all the links I followed I don't really see how to uninstall or repair IE 6 when using XPP SP2 as the operating system. When followed the links for XP what I got was that possibly the SP2 update had to be reinstalled. Then I didn't see if I should just reinstall it over the existing setup or not. So I am no closer to fixing my problem unless I should just go ahead and run SP2 setup again.

My problem is that IE no longer seems to get to the WEB using all the shortcuts I have always used. I thought it may be my network connection but the other computers work perfectly so I made the assumption that IE 6.0 was the culprit. Even the IE icon will not access the home page correctly. Maybe after 3 or 4 tries it will. So again, I believe something is wrong with IE and figured it needed repaired but I haven't really found out how yet. Maybe I'll give "SFC /scannow" a try. I hadn't thought of that until I read about it in one of the links.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The Control Panel option you mention is found under Add or Remove Software|Add/Remove Windows Components. Al this does, however, is remove the Desktop and Start Menu shortcuts. It does not affect how Internet Explorer functions on you system. The same is true of the Set Program Access and Defaults options.

Reinstalling IE6.0 would involve running a Repair Install, followed by a reinstall of SP2 and the subsequent patches.

HTH
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Unkamunka,

Thank you.

I did make an SP2 Slipstream CD. Do you suppose I could run a repair using that and avoid having to reinstall SP2?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

Yes - that should work just fine. The slipstreamed CD has SP-2 applied so repairing the installation will return it to the SP-2 state. You'll need to re-apply MS fixes since SP-2.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks. I just ran "sfc /scannow" and so far (fingers crossed) IE appears to be working better. If it starts acting up again I'll try that repair.
    H Lewton

Thanks

hlewton,

There is also a small utility to use to register the core IE functions and run sfc. You might want to download it and keep it, in case you still have some trouble.

Get it at: IE FIX
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

Thank you. I will get it right now so I don't forget.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well I guess I still have a problem with my IE 6.0 installation and I'm still not clear on how to fix it. I have tried the IEFix suggested in this thread but that didn't help. My running "sfc /scannow" seemed to work for awhile but IE is still having problems accessing the Internet. So I am running XPP SP2 how do I repair or uninstall IE 6 and reinstall it? Do I completely remove or uninstall Windows Service Pack 2 and then reinstall it to try to correct this problem?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Put your original WinXP CD into the drive and proceed as if you were going to do a reinstall. You will find that you are given the choice to do a Repair Install. Choose this. This will replace all the basic Windows components without overwriting your entire Registry. You will then have to reapply SP2 and then all the subsequent patches. As this is only a repair install, this should not result in your having to reinstall any applications. HTH
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

unkamunka,

Thanks for the reply.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

Use your slipstreamed SP-2 CD. That way it will be as if you did the repair and then applied SP-2 without the multi-step process. Before you do that though, what kind of errors are you getting? Is it all shortcuts? Can you get into a command prompt and ping the sites that are causing a problem? How is the problematic PC connecting to the Internet? Have you emptied the IE cache? What other debugging steps have you tried?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

No it is not just the shortcuts it is the actual IE icon that is placed on the desktop during installation. I could more than likely ping all the sites but I would need their IP addresses, wouldn
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast