5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formula help (XP)

One of my students shares a house with 4 other people. She wants to make a spreadsheet that will show the total each person owes for rent and the total amount for food. Then she wants a formula to read what they actually paid - if the amount is less than is owed, show how much they are short - if they pay exactly the correct amount, 0, if more than owed (i.e., to make up for a short month last month on rent, for instance, that they are now caught up. I'm stumped - please help

Thanks

Aunt LInda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formula help (XP)

If the total amount owed by a person is in cell A10, and the amount paid in B10, the formula =A10-B10 in cell C10 will display the difference. If this is positive, the person still owes money; if it is 0, the amount is paid exactly, and if it is negative, the person paid more than is owed. You can use Format | Conditional Formatting... to make this stand out, e.g. if the difference is positive, make the background of the cell red.

If you need more help, please be more specific.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached a very simple workbook which I think does what you want. I've assumed an even 5-way split of costs.
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Practically perfect in every way - just like Mary Poppins.

Thanks

Aunt Linda