New Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Document and Fill in Form (Word 2000)

We are trying to modify a Performance Evaluation template form in Word 2000. The employee data is merged into the form from an excel spreadsheet. The mail merge process works fine but we are wondering if there is a way to do the following:

1. How do we make it possible for Manager and Employee to fill and sign the form electronically without having to print it out. This would minimize chances of it falling into the wrong hands.

2. Is it possible to make the text in the Employee Name: field either repeat in the footer of the document, or be automatically filled in as the name of the document. This is so as to distinguish the document from others.

At this point we are unable to proceed without a solution to these issues. I appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks

Starad

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge Document and Fill in Form (Word 2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

About 2: You can insert merge fields in the header and/or footer. There is no objection to using the same merge field multiple times in the document. To set the file name, you would need a bit of VBA code, see for example How to set the default suggested filename to be displayed by the Save As dialog the first time a user saves a new document.

I hope someone else can help with 1.

Thanks

I think some of the new features of Word 2003 are targeted toward #1 - stronger document security, more flexibility with protection, etc. I can't think of any way to do it in Word 2000 that can't easily be cracked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is a significant reach, but it may be worth pursuing if you need a reasonably secure solution. You could choose to store the signed documents in an Access database as OLE objects. You would need to implement Access User Security so you could always identify the user in question, and it does get fairly cumbersome to do a merge to a Word document if you want to store the individual sections as separate documents, either independently or as records in a database. You might want to consider using Automation to build the documents instead and then store them directly in the database. As I indicated, it would take considerable work, but I think such an approach might well meet your needs.
    Wendell