3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Large attachments (2002 on XPSP2)

Received an email with a 31mb zip file attachment which downloaded. However it does not show as an attachment. As zip files are not on the level 1 banned list, I cannot see any way to retrieve. The Save Attachment menu option is enabled indicating Outlook knows there is an attachment but it does nothing. No attachment clip shows.

Any ideas please?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Large attachments (2002 on XPSP2)

That's a bit odd, are you sure that it wasn't blocked by server message size restrictions, and the file name left in the message body as a text artifact? FWIW, I use the following brute force code method to get at attachments which have been embedded, it should get any attachments that exist, including embedded files, graphics, etc., but you will need to rename the files extracted. Open the message and then run this from the VBE:

Sub saveembed()
    Dim lngC As Long
    With ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    If .Attachments.Count Then
    For lngC = 1 To .Attachments.Count
    .Attachments(lngC).SaveAsFile "C:WindowsTempSavedfile" & lngC & ".fil"
    Next lngC
    End If
    End With
    End Sub
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked my mail via the web earlier and expected an email with the attachment. Ran Outlook and there was a big download before this email arrived. However there is no Outlook reference to the attachment. The fact that Save Attachment is enabled though is a clue to Outlook knowing there is an attachment but that is the only indication.

I ran your code and it did nothing in this email. Ran it in another email that had an attachment and it saved a file to the folder you specified with a .fil extension. When changed to zip it opened fine.

All that leads to think that maybe it is a server restriction but I thought I was OK on that, will now check.

Many thanks for your reply and the code.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have access to XP at present, but do you have any special handling or filtering for large attachments? (I can't find anything in the Outlook 2003 menus, except for Large Mail sent folders.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nothing that I can see. I have been through all the options and searched in the help for Large, no relevant results.

Thanks

Starting in Outlook 2002, there was an option to restrict the size of attachments downloaded. In OL'03 this is under

Tools>Send/Receive>Send/Receive Settings>Define Send/Receive Groups

Select group, click Edit, select account, then on the right side is the "download headers only if message is larger than" option. It's grayed out for Exchange Server accounts, available for POP3 accounts.

I have no idea what the default is!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's a check box in 2002 to download description only if over a certain size but the check box is not selected. The people who host my website and whose servers I use for mail advise the limit is way over this email so I'm beginning to wonder if it was just a one off failure. Will try at a later stage with a large attachment.

Thanks for all the suggestions.