Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop Drive Adapter

I have a 10 gig, 2.5" laptop hard drive I'm trying to use temporarily for someone in a non-laptop computer. I have an adapter that I bought several years ago (when I was still working) that connects to the laptop drive's pins and thence to a standard IDE connector. The problem is that I've had the adapter so long, I have no documentation for it and I can't figure out which way to orient the thing when I connect it to the laptop drive. There are no notches or other evidence of where the #1 pin is and I'm sure it has some relationship to the power connector but I don't want to risk damaging anything. Does anyone have any experience with these little gizmos?

Thanks

Re: Laptop Drive Adapter

Al,
    I don't know for SURE, but it always used to be that the tracer on the cable end went closest to the power connector. Pin 1 was the nearest to the power.
    Do you have any idea what the manufacturer of the drive wasis ?

Check this site for adapter info and also they have an 800 number to call. Maybe they can help.

laptop drives
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

hanks Bob. The 2.5 drive is an IBM and it does have a clear indication of where pin #1 is. However, my adapter is the thing that has no pin markings and I don't know if pin #1 would be on the end where the power connector is or not. The picture from your link has what must be a more "modern" adapter board, for it has another pair of wires that mine doesn't have. Well, what the heck, maybe I'll connect the adapter and see what happens - worst case (I hope) is that I blow a drive that's several years old anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it's just a adapter to convert a regular pint pin IDE ribbon cable to a 2.5 " drive, I don't think that you would be in much danger of damaging the drive electricaly. That should be just a signal cable. No real voltages.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al, I've seen several USB 2.0 enclosures for 2.5" hard drives. Would it be worth a few bucks to buy an enclosure for this drive so you could connect via USB to any PC (or Mac for that matter)??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ordinarily not a bad idea, Mark. But I'm gonna put it in a removable rack that's normally used for regular hard drives and stick it in a machine that's a Celeron running Win98. If it doesn't turn out to be practical, it's cheaper to buy a 3.5" HDD for the (existing) rack/tray. It's to be used as a third drive for backup only and we were just trying to keep from throwing away this laptop drive since I already had the adapter. (the drive came out of a defunct laptop) Thanks for the idea...