3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Database Replication (A2K)

Hello All:

I need assistance from an expert on database replication. The problem is that I have a database that is replicated and was working as designed until I made some structural changes, ie, new queries, forms, reports. These new structures do not get synchronized with the replicas. How do I get the replicas to recognize the new structures. As always, any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Replication (A2K)

First of all, you should not be using replication with a front end (queries, forms, reports, etc.A) if you can avoid it at all. Replication is much more reliable if you use it only on a data database that contains tables, nothing else. It is not necessary to replicate front ends in order to link to a replicated back end. That said, *where* did you create these new objects? All design changes must be made in the design master. If you provide more detail on your specific situation, we may be able to offer further advice.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No front or backend involved. One database. Queries were the structures not replicating from the design master to the replicas. The solution is to do a 'Save As' on the queries. There is a check box available that asks if you want the query replicable. This check box is not available by doing a straight 'save'. I stumbled on this by attempting to change the name of a query. But thanks for your attention to the matter. I think all is well now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have to agree with Charlotte - you would be much better off to deploy updated queries by replacing the entire front-end. Having worked with a number of replicated databases, having a replicated front-end is far more likely to result in a corrupted Design Master, and having to recover it with a complicated scenario. I would also strongly suggest splitting your database - the probability of loosing data because of corruption is significantly lowered by doing so.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Wendell told you, you will definitely run into data collisions if you try to replicate both design changes and data changes at the same time (which is almost unavoidable with a combined database), since design changes are synchronized first, followed by data changes. That means that if you delete a field, for example, that field will be removed BEFORE the data it formerly contained is synced, resulting in an error.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell & Charlotte: Thanks for your insights. Things I definitely need to consider.