New Lounger
    Thanks

Please help with a simple Excel formula (Excel 2003)

Guys I have a terrible situation. I want to call a cell from other workbooks, this will come to a simple conclusion lets assume I am working from Book1.xls and need to link a cell from Book2.xls cell A1example: =[Book2.xls]!$A$1 right, but now I want to make [Book2.xls] a variable from another cell. Meaning in my current working book Book1.xls I wanna change a simple cell to change the data which is Book2.xls. Lets assume Book1.xls cell B1 has the value in it of "Book1.xls" Instead of using =[Book2.xls]!$A$1 I only wanna type in =[VariableB1]!$A$1now the formula will run as =[Book2.xls]!$A$1. I dont know if its possible otherwise I will have to edit the formual the hole time to get an awser from the different workbooks. I only wanna edit one sell the in my =[Book2.xls]!$A$1 formula it will pull the file that is stated in my cell. I hope im not to confusing. INDIRECT Function works but cant read from closed workbooks. Please anybody that can help Ill appreaciate it so very much !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Please help with a simple Excel formula (Excel 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

As you have found out, INDIRECT only works if the workbook referred to is open. There is a very handy free add-in for Excel that provides a custom function INDIRECT.EXT that works for closed workbooks. You can download the add-in from Excel add-ins; look for MOREFUNC.XLL.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gzzzz, thanks for the very fast reply, you guys are famous in our country it seems for guys who knows there excell !!! Thank you very very much !!!! Ill try it out immidiately !!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I click on the downloaded .xll provided in the download, nothing happens, how can I use the function now ? Sorry for the incompetent question ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry found it, add ins, im very sorry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have downloaded a self-extracting file Morefunc.exe. If you open it, it'll extract several files to a folder of your choice, by default C:Program FilesMorefunc. One of the files is a text file named Readme.txt. This file contains the instructions on how to make the add-in available in Excel, through Tools | Add-Ins...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help Hans, everything went acording to plan, it also runs well on the network to. My last question, is there anyway of adding the makro MOREFUNC.XLL automaticly instead of installing the makro on every pc ?

Thank you sincerely for all your wonderful help !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The three files mentioned in the Readme.txt (Morefunc.xll, Morefunc.hlp and Morefun.cnt) will have to be made available to each user. The best way is to install them in the C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11Library folder (substitute the correct path) or in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftAddIns. Activating the add-in is a one-time action. You could run code for this, but that's probably more work than sending the users an instruction they only have to follow once.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You have been a great help Hans, my sytem is working very fine, and im so happy. If there is anything I can do for you in return, please let me know [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your kind words are thanks enough.