New Lounger
    Thanks

Control-; does not enter current date (2003)

I've run into a strange problem in a specific MS Access database that I don't know how to correct. When I type Ctrl-; to enter the current date in a date/time field, I get an error message: "The expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Access can't find." The problem is specific to one data base. I can use Ctrl-; successfully in all my other files.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can alleviate this problem?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Control-; does not enter current date (2003)

1. Do you have a macro named AutoKeys in this database? It contains the definitions for keyboard shortcuts. If there is one, see if renaming it solves the problem.

2. Does the problem occur in all tables. queries and forms in this database, or only in oe of them?

New Lounger
    Thanks

There is no macro names AutoKeys. (There is an AutoExec.)

There is only one date field in the entire database. There's also only one form in which the date appears. I can't use Ctrl-; in any table, query or form. Even in query design, entering Ctrl-; in the Criteria of a query results in the same error message.

The table in question is a linked table from another data base file. In the original file in which the table resides, Ctrl-; works fine.

I've used Ctrl-; in the file since 1990 without a problem. I only use the file in question from April to October. The last time I used it in October 2004, Ctrl-; worked fine. I haven't changed versions of Access since last year.

The problem exists in the same file, and no others, on both my desktop and laptop, so I'm sure it's something in this particular file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One possibility is that you have a reference that has been added inadvertently, and that reference is now missing for some reason. To do that open the VBA editor and check Tools/References to see if you have something marked as missing. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is corruption in that database. You might try importing everything into a new empty database and see if that solves the problem.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked the References, and nothing was listed as missing.

I created a new data base and imported everything. Ctrl-; does work in the new file.

Thank you both very much for your help! I appreciate your efforts.