Lounger
    Thanks

Reading Apple Email (????)

Email (HTML format) received and correctly displayed by a MAC in Safari is forwarded to me. In MS outlook I just get a list of attached files (txts jpegs and giffs). Is the problem the Windows or the MAC end?

How can I read Apple Mail in MS Outlook, or what should the sending MAC user do to ensure I can read it?

Thanks,

Chris R.

Thanks

Re: Reading Apple Email (????)

Hi, what version of Outlook are you using? (That's what goes in the ???? part of your subject line)

If you are using Outlook 2003, you might have to manually tell Outlook to download the photos from the web before they appear. Usually it is obvious when this is necessary.

Otherwise... I assume you have no problem with HTML messages forwarded by people using other mail programs, so there seems to be a problem with either (1) how Safari formats the message, or (2) the sender's ISP, or (3) an intermediary spam or virus filter, or (4) Outlook's decoding of the message. Hard to diagnoseat a distance, but we'll try!

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Outlook version 2002.

I'm starting to think this should have been an Apple forum post.

I ordinarily have no problem receiving html messages. However, all html messages from this (all???) apple user (latest version of Safari) are received like this - some thirty attached file fragments of the message in .txt, .jpg, .gif, .tiff formats. The .txt files contain fragments of the html code and are named ATT000nn.

I seem to have no such problem with plain text messages.

pls advise if this is the appropriate forum. If not, I will pass on the solution if and when.......

Regards,

Chris

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Your apple uses are probably using some sort of theme or background. I have had a similar problem with Notes in the past. Ask them to try sending to you without the theme

Thanks

If it affects all Safari users, then it may be some incompatibility in how Safari encodes HTML messages compared with how Outlook decodes them. It does sound somewhat Apple-specific in that case. And the answer might not be forthcoming here...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There has been some discussion at Macintouch regarding this, with it appearing to be an Apple Mail issue (someone suggested that Mail reads HTML (via the Safari web browser HTML rendering engine) but sends only plain text OR RTF, not HTML mail). My version of Mail (1.2.5) indeed only lists these two options, but I use MS Entourage as my mail client which explicitly allows HTML and Plain. If your Mac friend has tried Firefox, he/she may be interested in trying out Thunderbird as a mail client, or Eudora or other mail client that fully supports HTML format. I haven't tried, but possibly using the SAVE AS feature in Mail will allow the HTML to be preserved and sending that file as an attachment will allow the images to be seen in-line once you open that particular attachment.

For many Mac questions, I find the MacFixIt forums to be useful.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments, helpful links and suggestions. You have summarised things exactly. Also, not being an Apple man I was confused. Safari is the browser and Mail the email program.

Tried to save-as on the Apple, the only options are text, raw text or rich text so no help there. My SENT email still displays perfectly on the Apple machine. Obviously Apple Mail has problems constituting what it sent me, or conforming with a Windows-only standard. Come to think of it I had to junk a windows 95 Email-Connection application for this very reason when embedded files first appeared.

Interesting, once upon a time there was mail (text), Then there was mail and attached files. Now there is mail with embedded files and mail with attached files and mail with both. Also files embedded in mail can now be executable software which may help you but usually harms you. How many K or Meg does it take to send those three little words these days?

We will try other email software as suggested or she has to switch back to uncle Bill if she still wishes to talk to me in other than a plain manner! This is for Apple to resolve.

Thanks to all

Chris