New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Default accounts (SP2)

I'm probably missing something, but mayeb someone can help me! I use Outlook 2003 with several e-mail accounts from a couple of different ISP's.

I know that with each connection I can only receiver through the other ISP e-mail and not send, but that's not a problem.

However, if I receive an e-mail on an account for which I can not send at the time - and I mistakenly click on reply - no matter what options I have checked in the account setup or in Send/Receive, the e-mail is sent apparently from the next account in line!

How can I stop this? I would just like a message telling me that I can't send from the account - or even an error message if that can't be done

Thanks for any help

Roger

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Default accounts (SP2)

I'd like this too, a pop-up to choose an account. No one's offered me one yet.

If you always use the same ISP now, and you send using an SMTP server, it is simplest to change all accounts' outgoing mail servers to the one that works.

(The problem I have is with an old account that no longer exists. And tricking the computer into using Exchange instead. Sigh.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>It is simplest to change all accounts' outgoing mail servers to the one that works.

Be careful, if you frequently send from ISP A, using an SMTP account from ISP B. It appears that (at least one) Anti-Spam organisation may blacklist you (no matter how little e-mail you actually send) on the grounds that you are a (potential) spammer. As such blacklists are based on your IP Address (and not on the e-mail account used), that would end up in your mail from all accounts being blocked by any ISP using that blacklist.
    Gre

Thanks

That is what I meant, even though I said it carelessly: Use the SMTP servers provided by the ISP whose connection you are using at the time you send the message. That should be the one and only SMTP server that works while you are using that connection.

And there is an exception: if one of your mail account providers allows for authenticated access (e.g., AT&T Worldnet), you can connect to its mail servers using your account information regardless of what ISP you might happen to be using at the moment.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

For those who have the good fortune to be able to use AT&T Worldnet, there is the way out that you suggest. For others, who have no choice but to use the one SMTP server (because that is the only one that will work), there is the unfortunate downside that they may end up blacklisted - speaking from first-hand experience with that very organisation.
    Gre

Thanks

I read their page differently. If your computer contacts AlienNetwork's mail server directly, and you are a banned IP address, yes, your relay request will be denied. However, if your computer requests that CurrentISP's mail server contact AlienNetwork's mail server, the address AlienNetwork's mail server checks against the list is not your personal IP address, but the IP address of CurrentISP's mail server. So, as long as your computer is authorized to send through CurrentISP's mail server, which it should be if you are connected through CurrentISP's network -- and your account is in good standing -- using that server should always work to send mail to AlienNetwork users. (Unless CurrentISP runs an open relay, but there is nothing you can do about that except complain.)