5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restart Problems

I am working with a GATEWAY Select system - with a 650 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM memory. It was donated to our local Humane Society Thrift Shop and I "re-work" the donated computers. This one had Windows ME and I noticed that when I clicked on RESTART, occasionally it would not "restart". Just would hang - the monitor would not come on. Holding the power button down, I would shut it off. Turned it on 3-4 times and still nothing and finally, it would restart. I thought the problem might be Windows ME - so I reformatted the hard drive and am in the process of installing Windows 98 SE. When the installation process needed to "restart", again the system just "hung there" and would not restart. Again, I held down the power button to shut it off, Turned it on again several times until it finally restarted. Is this unit worth working on or should I just cannibalize the parts? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restart Problems

I just swapped out the RAM memory thinking that might be the problem. No luck - having the same problems with restart.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If I had to guess then I would try a new PSU next, have you got a spare lying around to test with?

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I do but I am not sure that is the problem. The computer continues to have power, the power light is on, the case fans continue to work, the power supply fan continues to work, etc. To turn the power off, I have to hold the power button for about 10 seconds until it powers off. The problem only comes up when I do a "restart". If I do a regular "shut-down" and then turn it right back on (I know I should wait 30 seconds) it works ok.

I will swap out the power supply and let you know but would appreciate your reactions to my input above.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The power light and case fans only use a limted part of the power output (both +5V as far as I remember). One thing that happens during a restart is that you suddenly change the load on the PSU, which was why I suggested trying a swap, but it was a complete guess.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

The behavior with the power button is common now. It is an attempt to avoid accidental power down. Ten seconds seems a little long - five is more common I think. It may be configurable though I've never bothered to look. It seems as though you might have some hardware hanging up. Do you have all the most current drivers for the NIC? Is there a modem installed? Can you uninstall the NIC to see if that has any effect?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was the power supply. Gateway has a "proprietary" unit but I was able to find one that "sort of" matched and put it in and all is well. Thanks from me and the Humane Society Thrift Shop. BOW WOW. MEOW MEOW.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ouch! I thought Gateway had quit that kinda stuff a long time ago. When I worked at KET we had a whole slew of machines that were long out of warranty and we were (yours truly was) upgrading them by replacing motherboards, only to discover this non-standard power supply problem. I don't know about you, but MY clue was the power connector on the PS had a "missing" wire - one empty position. Well, I'm glad to hear that you found a solution. Ya never know what you'll run into, do ya?