5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partition Magic Enlarge C Drive? (Pro, SP2)

I have my 40 GB primary hard drive partitioned into 4 pieces, and want to assign some free space to the C drive. PM 8 gives me a message that I cannot do that from the drive that PM is installed on, which is C, of course. So I made the Rescue diskette set and booted from the first one. Eventually got to a screen that said Loading Please Wait, with an A prompt after those words. Waited over 5 minutes with no activity, so I issued a DIR command on diskette 2. Saw that PQMAGIC was the only program on there, so I tried to start it. Got just another line saying Loading Please Wait, with the A prompt at the end. Once again, nothing happened during a wait of several minutes. Am I not understanding how to do this operation properly? Or is there some other program or method I can use for this?

Thanks

Re: Partition Magic Enlarge C Drive? (Pro, SP2)

It's a while since I've done this but I'm sure it was fairly straightforward and didn't need the use of the rescue discs.
    From memory, I got a message to say that it couldn't be done there and then, but would be done at the next reboot, which makes sense. On rebooting, it first runs a chkdsk, then spends time in a DOS-type window shuffling the data on the HD around. If you are not offered that option (which I find strange) could you re-install PM in another drive? Presumably you are trying to take space from D (or the next assigned drive letter), so I would try installing it in E.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this is the scenario you described, but in most "partitioning" software the free space must be adjacent to the right of the partition that you want to add it to. So, if your C: drive shows up on the left of the PM graphic screen and the free space is way over on the right of the other partitions, you have to "move" the other partitions to the right, or the free space to the left, so it's immediately adjacent to the C: drive. I don't know if I've said that clearly enough or if it is a representation of what you were faced with, but that's my experience.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with Al, that is how it needs to be done.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

>> From memory, I got a message to say that it couldn't be done there and then, but would be done at the next reboot, which makes sense. On rebooting, it first runs a chkdsk, then spends time in a DOS-type window shuffling the data on the HD around. If you are not offered that option (which I find strange) could you re-install PM in another drive? Presumably you are trying to take space from D (or the next assigned drive letter), so I would try installing it in E. <<

I already took the space from F, then moved D, E, and F over so the free space was next to C. It's ONLY when I try to add that space to C that PM says the operation can't be done from the partition PM is running on, which is why I thought it would have to be done via the Rescue disks. But apparently that's not what the PM folks are talking about

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> I don't know if this is the scenario you described, but in most "partitioning" software the free space must be adjacent to the right of the partition that you want to add it to. <<

Took another look this morning, and the problem turned out to be that the free space was to the left of the C partition. So I first told PM to move C all the way left, then after the "DOS-style" operation which did that, I could use the standard PM interface to add the free space to C. Appreciate the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Way Ta Go! Congrats...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From your description I would reformat the "rescue disks" and make them again. They really are not rescue disks in the sense that many apps use the term. You should have been able to boot from disk 1, get prompted to insert disk 2 and then you could have done everything you needed from within that version of PQ8.

We have done this many times for shrinking a D partition and expanding the C, or converting cluster sizes to something other than 512 which is notorious for its lack of cooperation with Executive Software's Diskeeper.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough