New Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting Movies then Transferring the PPt... (XP)

I made a PPT presentation with a lot of movie files and sound files. Last time I did this and transferred the powerpoint on a CD to a school computer the movies didn't work.

This time I made a folder for the movies and sounds on the CD. Whenever I try to change the path from c:somethingMovies and Sounds to e:somethingMovies and Sound.... everything turns green. Yeah it turns all green and slows down until the computer is frozen.

Also there is a file called thumbs.db that always asks if you want to delete, cuz it'll mess up the computer. What it that?

And why does the screen turn green and freeze up.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Movies then Transferring the PPt... (XP)

Don't know about the green screen, but I know that when I have movies in a presentation I have to have the movie player (Real Time, Windows Media etc.) on the computer I am using for the presentation or the movies won't play.

thumbs.db stores the thumbnail of files that are used when using that view in Windows.
    Carla

Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Movies then Transferring the PPt...

Would it make a difference if my computer has Windows Media Player 9 and the other computer uses Windows Media Player - Classic?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking that the green screen was an effect of the loading. The computer had around 1 gigahertz of power and the movies are really big.

And the computers at school use Novell Network Client. Unfortunately, access to C drive is restricted on the schol computers so, I'll just have to take out the movies.

Thanks for your help,

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Have u tried using pack and go (or package for CD if it is available in XP), that should fix up the path names for you.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 11-Apr-05 17:40. )</P>PowerPoint stores the entire path to the movie, so when it leaves your C drive for a CD-ROM or some other C drive, it's unlikely to match exactly. I'm not sure how "smart" PowerPoint is about rebuilding links when it can't find them. In a recent project, I wrote a macro that converted the links from complete ("absolute") links to relative links. In other words, if the PPT file was in the pres folder and the WMV file was in the vid folder under pres, then as long as you kept these two folders in the same relation on the next computer, the links would still work.

The macro code is not on the computer I'm using at the moment, but I probably could post it later tonight or this weekend if you'd like to try it.

Added 11-April-2005: Here it is:
    <hr><pre>Sub RelativizeLinkedPicturePaths()
    ' Note: Makes paths relative to the location of the PPT file
    ' Does NOT WORK for paths outside that folder (i.e., sibling folders)
    Dim strPresPath As String
    strPresPath = ActivePresentation.Path
    Dim shpOld As PowerPoint.Shape, lngCount As Long, strTemp As String
    With ActivePresentation.Slides
    For lngCount = 1 To .Count
    For Each shpOld In .Item(lngCount).Shapes
    If shpOld.Type = msoLinkedPicture Or shpOld.Type = msoMedia Then
    If InStr(1, shpOld.LinkFormat.SourceFullName, "C:", _
    vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
    ' Remove the presentation path from the file name string
    strTemp = Replace(shpOld.LinkFormat.SourceFullName, _
    strPresPath & "", vbNullString, , , vbTextCompare)
    ' Replace absolute path with relative path
    Debug.Print strTemp
    shpOld.LinkFormat.SourceFullName = strTemp
    End If
    Exit For ' Assumes one linked media asset per slide
    End If
    Next
    Next
    End With
    If Not (shpOld Is Nothing) Then Set shpOld = Nothing
    End Sub</pre>

<hr>
    As an aside, I found that WMV movies would not show if I opened and ran the PPT file from the CD. Everything had to be copied onto a computer. Not sure why, maybe a new security thing in Windows XP SP2?

Not sure about green screens...

Added 08-April-2005: On my computer, thumbs.db stores thumbnail images of photo files. I don't pay close attention to when it is created, it could be when you view the files as thumbnails in Windows Explorer, or when you use the Preview program. Either way, I suspect that Windows will just re-create the file later. You're seeing a generic message for all "system" files that seems unduly alarming in this case.