Thanks

Event error 7000 (WinXP SP1)

What to do to solve this problem? I have a bunch of them in my event log. But the message doesn't tell me WHAT FILE this service is looking for and as usual, the pointer to the so-called "help and support center" is useless.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 4/8/2005
    Time: 11:15:02 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The SSDP Discovery Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thanks

Re: Event error 7000 (WinXP SP1)

Error 7000 messages can come from a number of sources but check out this MSKB article that seems to be describing your problem.

ERROR 7000
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

I looked at the KB file (and did some more searching there) but didn't come across anything that talks about this specific error which is "System cannot find the file specfied". WHAT file is being looked ofr/ I checked the SSDP Discovery service and don't see any funny file names being referenced. Here is a screen grab from the SSDP service. Does anyone see somewhere where a file is referenced?

Thanks

Have you gone into Control Panel>Administrative tools>Services and disabled the SSDP Service? It looks like you have it on automatic start.

It isn't usually needed unless you have an EXTERNAL device with UPnP discovery.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can find some advice on this error at www.eventid.net. There's not a lot of detail there, but it might help.

StuartR

Thanks

I believe that I had this turned on when I was using a router (no longer using this, back to DSL modem and PPPoE) and read somewhere that I need to enable this service so that I could see the network from the laptop computer I was using. I never was able to figure out how to get the network display working from the other computer. But point is null now since I no longer have the laptop computer. I'll try turning off the service and see what happens.

It would be a lot easier to figure out what was going on though if Microsoft (and othe rprogrammers) would give you enough information when an "error" occurs. Telling me that a file can't be found without telling me WHAT file is useless.

Thanks

While turning off the service seems to have solved the original problem, it has caused other messages to get generated (below). Doesn't look like there is any sane way to figure out what the root of the problem is! Extensive playing around with disabling services has gotten me into trouble in the past and once forced me to have to rebuild the system (after following one of those guides on what services supposedly weren't needed, sigh). Is Linux the same? I'm getting tired of Windows.

Event ID: 7001
    Date: 4/11/2005
    Time: 9:42:50 PM
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The Universal Plug and Play Device Host service depends on the SSDP Discovery Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The PfModNT service failed to start due to the following error:
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The Routing and Remote Access service failed to start due to the following error:

Thanks

Go back into the Services area and turn off those items also, since they are dependent on SSDP Discovery Services.

Where did you get the list of Services that you used to determine what to enable and disable?

A reliable one is BLACK VIPER (edited, I just checked his site and it appears to be down at the moment ) Use the column marked "safe" for XP services.

I downloaded his list and printed it out for reference.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!