New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Custom Help File (Access 2003)

I've created a custom help file (*.chm). What I need to do is to find a way to open it without that idiotic error message about danger, viruses, etc. Also, Sandbox mode is NOT an option.
    Ideally, I would like to put it on a button, but a menu item will do as well.
    Microsoft talks about an "assign hyperlink" function but I can't seem to find it.
    Why is it its the really simple things that are so hard????

John Heckman
    heckman@heckmanco.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Opening Custom Help File (Access 2003)

There are several options in creating custom help forms in Access. They range from a complete custom application help file which is installed as a run-time option in the registry to a simple help file for a specific form, which is specified as a property of that form. You can also create a simple hyperlink that is opened when a button or other control is clicked. Finally, you have the option to use a ControlTip Text which is displayed whenever the cursor is hoovered over a control for more than a second or two. Give us a bit more detail about the specifics of your situation and we'll try to help.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Custom Help File (Access 2003)

I don't have Access 2003 myself, so I can't guarantee this will do what you want.

Put the following code at the top of the form module or of a standard module, below the Option Compare ... and Option Explicit lines, but before all procedures and functions:

Public Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" ( _
    ByVal hwnd As Long, _
    ByVal lpOperation As String, _
    ByVal lpFile As String, _
    ByVal lpParameters As String, _
    ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
    ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Public Const SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED As Long = 3
    Public Const SW_SHOWNORMAL As Long = 1

Use the following code in the On Click event of a command button to open the help file (substitute the appropriate names):

Private Sub cmdHelp_Click()
    Const strHelpfile = "C:AccessMyHelp.chm"
    If ShellExecute(Application.hWndAccessApp, "Open", strHelpfile, 0&, 0&, SW_SHOWNORMAL) < 33 Then
    MsgBox "Couldn't open help file.", vbInformation
    End If
    End Sub