Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pass protect USB (Flash drive) content!

Hi all,
    I have a 256MB USB flash drive that I store sensitive info on! I would like to know if it is possible to password protect the drive so that the contents can only be viewed after supplying the passsword! I have it WinZipped currently with a password, but its an issue if I stick the drive into a machine that does not have WinZip installed and I end up not being able to access the data! Is there any way to assign a password on the drive itself?
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pass protect USB (Flash drive) content!

If you have WinZip you can create a self-extracting archive (an .exe file that can be used without WinZip).
    If the receiving machine has Windows XP, it can open zip files without having WinZip installed.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Based on your reply I take it that you are sublimely replying with "no" as the aswer to the original question!??? Your alternative is a good solution though! Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rudi

Cypherix : Cryptainer LE is a free program that works with removable media and creates encrypted containers to store any type of data. There is also a commercial package, Keynesis - Lockngo that is specifically designed for this task. I have not used either product so can not comment on how good they are. There will be many other programs that offer similar capabilities and some USB flash drives include an encryption program on the set-up CD.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx Tony! Both these links look good. I'll try out Cypherix as it is freeware though! Thanx
    Regards,
    Rudi