4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't delete entry (2000/SR1)

Help! My boss entered some information in the database, now it is really messed up.

I have a secured database to keep track of employee information. Each employee has a unique ID, that is made up of the letter G, then 4 numbers, then their initials. Somehow, when my boss was entering information, she was able to put in, or the system fouled it up, the following ID, G6F, (the rest of the information that was put in is also messed up) and now the system is acting up. I thought that I would just delete this record and start over again, but everytime I try to delete it, I get the following message, "The search key was not found in any record." There is a Help button key, which led me to this, "This error occurs when an ISAM SEEK is being executed and there are no matching values in the index." but it didn't help me in any way. I also tried changing the ID to the correct one, but I get the same message. The last thing I tried was completing all the information, address, phone #, etc, but that didn't help either.

I know this description is kind of obscure but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't delete entry (2000/SR1)

I would guess that you have a corrupted record in the database. It also sounds like the index for the table may be clobbered since the ISAM seek is giving an error. Is the field that is corrupted part of the primary key for that table? I suspect what you may need to do is either export the table out to a text file, fix it if possible or else delete the bad record, and then import back into a new copy of the table. You could also try creating append queries to copy all but that record to a new empty table. Let us know how you fare.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I had exactly the same problem (same error message) yesterday, fortunately with a db that only contains dummy data.

I could not delete the record, not edit any of the fields.

My db was split into a front end and backend. When I opened the backend directly and opened the table directly it did let me delete the record, and now all seems OK.
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I took your advice and created a query to export the information, except for the bad record, to a new table. I used the make table query. I had to go through each field and make sure that they were set up properly. I then renamed the old table and changed the name on the new table to be the same as the old one and everything seemed to be working.

This morning, I went to add the record back in. Everything looked good but when I closed the form and then re-opened it, I had garbage in the fields, weird symbols, G511212 changed into

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can try the JetComp utility from Microsoft (see ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center). It can repair some databases that the internal Compact and Repair cannot handle.
    If that doesn't help either, it's probably best to create a new database, import everything except the problem table. Export the problem table (sans the problem record) to an external format, e.g. Excel or HTML, and import this into the new database. That way, you are sure you don't import the corruption.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans has steered you in the right direction. You apparently have corruption in you database - my experience indicates that when strange things start happening it's time to create a new empty database and then import everything into that new database. Two more things you should consider: If your database isn't split into a front-end and a back-end, I would certainly do so. Also, if you don't have a current back-up strategy that will let you recover at least to the prior day, I would implement one post haste. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I bumped into this problem again today, with real data.

I removed the index from the field , and also removed the relationship that used that field.

I was then able to delete the record, recreate the index and the relationship and all seems OK.
    Regards
    John