New Lounger
    Thanks

Playing AVI's (Powerpoint 2000)

So I have a codec and can play my AVI file in Windows Media Player fine, but I can't play it in Powerpoint. When I do try to insert the movie, I get a box with red lines and a message on the top that says: "Video not available, cannot find 'vids.mjpg' decompressor." When I double-click it, it only plays sound. I even tried to insert a Windows Media Object and play it like that, but it did not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Playing AVI's (Powerpoint 2000)

You might have better luck converting the file to a native Windows Media format. Is it a digital camera movie? If your camera software doesn't include a useful converter application, there are a variety of free and commercial products available. Recommendations often can be found on our Hardware and Software Finds and Wants boards, or on the forums at dpreview, a site dedicated to digital photography stuff.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually it's a friend's digital camera, but it looks like you hit the nail on the head. What's the best (free and easy) way to convert the avi?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

sloucho84,

No need to convert the movie file to anything else. If you get these error messages when you try to drag and drop an AVI video clip. "Video not available, cannot find vids:mjpeg decompressor" or "Cannot display this type of sound or movie" or "MMSYSTEM006 There is no driver installed on your system". Or if you "insert movie from file" and powerpoint simply ignores you. Then try this mjpg mpeg tip that is so simple I was gobsmacked/astounded.

Rename the file from a .AVI to .MPG - That's it!
    (even renaming the file to .QT .MOV .m1v works). We found that you tend to have a greater success rate with AVI files from digital cameras that create movies. We believe this is because most of them use the Motion jpeg codec or mjpeg for short.

Cheers
    TAJ Simmons
    microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds