New Lounger
    Thanks

Linked Tables - SQL (Access 2K, SQL7)

I have created an Access 2K db on a networked PC, with linked tables to SQL7 db on three servers. The PC and connects to one of the servers, the other servers are on the same network. When I open the Access db, the linked tables (3 of them) may or may not remain actively linked. I have rewritten the ODBC links, tried the actual IP address of the 3 servers, all to no avail. I'm thinking that I need to delete the links and recreate them on opening the db each time. That way I am sure the links are active and the other modules will not "blow up". Is there VB or VBA code to check for, delete and recreate a link from the Access db to the SQL db's? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Linked Tables - SQL (Access 2K, SQL7)

I think maybe a word got dropped somewhere:
    <hr>The PC and connects to one of the servers ... <hr>
    I would be suspicious of the network. If you have a solid permanent DSN, and are working on an NT domain, I've never seen that kind of behavior. Are you by chance working on Novell? In any event, there are a number of posts relating to the linking an relinking of tables on a dynamic basis. Check out the thread that begins with <post#=419816>post 419816</post#> for several suggestions on dynamic linking.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen that where a SQL database was restored from a backup device to match the existing links in an Access front end. The links are there, but until you relink to the restored back end, they don't work. Do you have anything like that going on?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I created the ODBC links under the system instead of the files category. This seems to hold the connections to the SQL servers (all three) and works each time Access is opened. Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas.