Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find & Replace Hard Returns (2003, SP1)

I need to replace any hard returns between a page break and a "space". Most of the time there are 9 hard returns, but every once in a while there will be a different number, and it's not consistant.

TIA
    egghead

Thanks

Re: Find & Replace Hard Returns (2003, SP1)

You want to replace a variable number of paragraph marks, when the set starts at the top of a page, with something. Is that right?

The Find/Replace dialog is unaware of soft page breaks, so unless there is a hard page break to search for, you probably will need to write some VBA code. One approach might be to the go the top of the next page, check for an empty paragraph, select forward until the paragraphs stop being empty, and then type over the select with the desired new text. Does that sound like it would work?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does this document have any paragraph/style formatting applied? If not then you can use find/replace with wildcards as follows:
    1. Use find/replace to change all hard returns to soft returns i.e. find what: ^p replace with: ^l
    2. Use find/replace with wildcards switched on and in the find what box enter ^m^l@<space> (<space> is simply a space character) and in the Replace box put whatever you want - maybe just the space character or perhaps the page break and the space if you're just wanting to get rid of the hard returns.
    3. With wildcards turned off, reverse step 1, i.e. change all soft returns to hard returns.

If there are any soft returns in the document before you start this then you will need to change all of those first to some string that does not appear in the doc and then change that string back to a soft return as the last step.

Because you're zapping all of the hard returns in the document (even though you resore them later) you'll lose any associated paragraph formatting - in which case the only option you have is to resort to VBA

Thanks

If the page breaks you're talking about are manual page breaks, the following Find/Replace may work for you without the need to change hard returns to soft returns. In the Find box, put "^12^13@ " (don't miss the final space) and in the Replace box put "^12 " (again, don't miss the final space), and be sure to check "Use wildcards."

In case you're not familiar with wildcard searches, the "@" means any (consecutive) number of the preceding character. So, since "^13" is a hard return, "^13@" means "any number of hard returns in a row."

Final note: Unfortunately, "^12" will find section breaks as well as manual page breaks, so if you don't want to do the replacement if the target is at the start of a section, you'll have to do the replace one at a time (rather than as a Replace All), so you can avoid replacing at the start of sections.

Thanks

As an added note, here's a <!post=Star Post,421558>Star Post<!/post> on finding & replacing special characters, and here's a nice MVPs article on the same subject.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's exactly what I want to do, except that I don't want to replace the hard returns with anything. There's a manual page break, followed by a number of hard returns (normally 9), but sometimes more. There are additional hard returns within the text on the page, so I don't want to lose those or the formatting. Only if they are a group of hard returns after the manual page break.

Thanks!
    egghead

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. I have tried your suggestion and am getting the message that the search item was not found. The page breaks are manual page breaks. Then they are followed by nine hard returns, usually, but the amount isn't always consistent. The document has one section.

Here's what I used: ^12^13@ (including a space at the end)
    Use wildcards is checked.

I'm just typing a space into the replace box.

Can you see what I'm doing incorrectly? Thanks.
    egghead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you show non-printing characters, how is the space displayed? A normal space is a dot, special spaces such as the non-breaking space as a degree symbol. You could try

^12^13@^0160

in the Find What box.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The spaces appear as normal, black circles. However, when I try what you suggested, it says the search item is not found.
    egghead

Thanks

I'm thinking maybe I was a little misled by your original post in terms of the consecutive hard returns being followed by a space character. I included a space at the end of my Find string on that assumption. If you're looking to replace consecutive hard returns after a manual page break regardless of whether a space character is (already) the next character, just remove the final space from my suggested Find string.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a stripped down copy of such a document? You can remove almost all text, just leave a hard page break followed by some returns and a space.

Thanks

Another thing to check would be to make sure there's no Formatting in your search -- i.e., click the More button and then click the No Formatting button (if it isn't greyed out).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're sure there's a space after the final paragraph break? The pattern suggested works fine in a sample doc I created (see attached screen shot). Posting a sample file for us to look at would help quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a stripped version of the file. Your input is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    egghead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have attached some kind of text file, not a Word document.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast