Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 explorer questions (Win XP Pro SP2)

Two things have occurred on separate machines which I want to tidy up.

1. I have a CDROM and DVD/CDROM on one machine. Both are listed as CDROM drives in Explorer which makes it difficult to remember which is which. Is it possible to rename one as a DVD Player and one a CD Player? Right clicking does not give an option for this

2. One the other machine I mapped a couple of network drives to two drives on my notebook which I hook up now and again via an ethernet cable. They show up in Explorer but now I want to delete them. Again this is not an option if I right click in Explorer. How can I do this?

TIA

Richard

Thanks

Re: 2 explorer questions (Win XP Pro SP2)

1] Don't know of any way to rename them, but if your CD drive is listed before the DVD drive, you simply have to remember your alphabet...

2] Tools > Disconnect Network Drive.

Thanks

1] Found a possible way - see this thread at Flexbeta. You'll need to trawl through the whole thread to get to the answer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. You can not rename drives: their "names" are reserved for volume names (names of CDs or DVDs inserted). However, you can assign different letters for the drives, say Q for CD-ROM and V (as Video) for DVD drive. To do so, open Control Panel (Start | Control Panel), switch to Classic View (clicking the link on the left pane), click Administrative Tools icon, then Computer Management icon; on the left pane under Storage choose Disk Management, then on the lower right pane scroll down until you see your CD-ROM and DVD drives; right-click on the pane where the icon is (with words CR-ROM 0 CD-ROM (E) and from pop-up menu choose Change Drive Letter and Path, Change etc. Remember if you have mapped network drives, these drive letters are unavailable (not on drop-down list).

2. In Windows Explorer (or My Computer) from Tools menu choose "Disconnect Network Drive..." and follow the wizard.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

To set drive letters conveniently, I use TWEAKUI. My Zip drive is drive Z.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just for info - I succeeded in changing the drive names by changing registry settings as per the advice in the Flexbeta link (see Leif's post above). Though you are correct that the name changes again to reflect the title of the disk whenever you put a CD. However, on my system, when it it empty again, the drive name changes back to the one I wanted it to be.

As to your other point - I did click on Disconnect Drives and it did so, but I never got any wizard? It was just when I rebooted that the mapped drive disappeared. What does the wizard do/offer?

Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I change the drive letter to the following
    R = Read
    W = Write
    Z = Zip (where I hve one)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What does the wizard do/offer?

It lists all your mapped drives and asks do you want to disconnest selected drive(s) permanently or reconnect after reboot.