Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Count slowing document? (Word XP/SP3)

I have a user who is working in a 24 page table document (the whole document is a table). It is EXTREMELY slow - I mean, you type a word and it doesn't show up for a few seconds. The file size is close to 900K. I notice in the status bar (I had to look carefully, because it flashes quick) it is saying "word count is recalculating document" - and that is running every few seconds. Could this be what's slowing the document up? If so, how do I turn that feature off? If that's not the answer, what else should I be looking for? Help! Thanks... [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Count slowing document? (Word XP/SP3)

Does the user have code that computes the word count dynamically? (cf. the thread starting at <post#=469449>post 469449</post#>)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't see anything in VB for this document, and we don't have anything like that floating around our firm... Now, when I'm in the document, I don't see anything flashing or running in the status bar, but it's still agonizingly slow to do anything - even clicking from one cell to the next takes a few seconds.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did a little more digging and thought maybe Word was trying to constantly paginate the document. I took the advice of a past post and switched to normal view (can't turn off background repagination in layout view, evidently), and now the document is fine! Now that we know it's a pagination thing (or, most likely), how do I rid that problem so that the user CAN work in Print Layout view...?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since, as you note yourself, background pagination cannot be turned off in Print Layout view, working in Normal view as much as possible is probably the best advice you can give.