New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Log to Web when PC is on for a while... (Win

After my Dell (WinXP media center, Pentium 4, 1G ram, DSL) has been on for a while (minutes or hours) it will no longer log on to the web. Neither my default Firefox browser, OE, or email programs will get through either. When I use the command prompt "ping" command it shows a satisfactory ping (4of4 packets received).
    My Zonealarm firewall software shows that it is unlocked . If I do a soft reboot it's OK again. Any ideas why this happens?

(also posted on Windows forum)

Thanks

Re: Can't Log to Web when PC is on for a while...

Hi, you should only post a question on one board here in the Lounge.

What site are you pinging? Can you ping a popular site like www.yahoo.com and get through?

On my PC with a wireless connection, sometimes the connection seems to die even if there is a good signal. If I right-click the connection icon and choose Repair, that usually fixes it in less than 15 seconds. If you don't have such an icon, you can add it using a checkbox in the Properties for your connection under Network Connections. Check the box for "Show icon in notification area when connection" (it appears in the system tray near the clock). Does it help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

(removed from Windows forum)

The site I pinged was whatever the MS troubleshooter specified, and it pinged OK.
    In answer to Joe (on Windows forum) , when I try and connect with this situation I get messages like: Email = cannot find server, Firefox = yahoo.com could not be found, check the name and try again.

I'll put the Icon for connection repair on my quick launch toolbar and try that next time it happens. THis doesn't happen every time, the computer has been left on all night and it connects OK this AM; but sometimes just 20 mins later it won't connect and I have to reboot- maybe it happens after I use a certain feature or program???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is your computer connected directly to the DSL modem or do you have a router in your setup? If you do have a router, you might want to UNPLUG it from power for a couple of minutes (when you can't connect) and then plug it back in to see if that cures it. If there's no router, do you see anything unusual with the indicator lights on the DSL modem? I'm wondering if your DSL provider has any provision for "sleeping" due to inactivity, although I think that's not it, based on what you said about overnight...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a DSL router between the wall and the PC. No unusual lights show that I've noticed when it won't connect...

I'll try turning it off/on when this happens again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The same problem used to happen to me; I'd have to reboot the modem and router in order to connect after a period of inactivity. After months of wrangling with every conceivable solution, I switched DSL providers. Astounding! The problem vanished. It wasn't on my end after all -- the ISP was using outdated equipment, and had set up their servers wrong. I have now been with GWI.net for over three months, and have my modem & router on constantly. I haven't had to reboot once in that time, and haven't lost my connection. So, my suggestion to you is to look into getting another ISP -- before automatically assuming the problem's on your end.