Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasted Lines (OFfice 2000SP1)

You say that you see the line again if you click in the area where it is. If you click on the line then, and select Format | AutoForm, do you see anything unusual, for example the line color?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a strange problem. Does the same problem occur in other Office applications, such as Word or PowerPoint?

You might check out Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, thanks again for your reply.

A shown in the file, this is something I do infrequently to provide an activity chart easily. I have done this in the past with no problems, probably on Office XP.
    I do not use Powerpoint and the only similarity in Word that I have noticed is that when I insert a picture, it is also invisible until I go to print preview but I understand that this is a another issue.

Best regards,
    Tommy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you select Tools | Options..., what is the setting for Objects in the View tab?
    And in Word, in the same dialog, is "Picture Placeholders" ticked?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do see the colour and can change the line end shapes, weight etc. However, when I save the file and reopen it, the lines appear to have gone. The same file on a friends machine does not exhibit this problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

Pasted Lines (OFfice 2000SP1)

When I insert or paste a line from the drawing toolbar to a worksheet I cannot always see it ...they are visible then they disappear but return when I click in the area where they are...Is there something wrong with my setup_WinXp Pro_Win 2003

Lounger
    Thanks

In Excel, "Show All" is selected
    In Word, "Picture Place holders" was not selected.
    I have selected "Picture Place holders" in Word and now when I inset a picture I can see Square dots showing the extremities of the picture, but no picture. Now I cannot edit the picture in anyway, nor its position in relation to the text. these options are now "greyed out"

Best regards,
    Tommy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps there is a problem with your graphics card. You can check this as follows:
    - Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
    - Select Properties.
    - Activate the Settings tab.
    - Click Advanced.
    - Click the Troubleshoot tab.
    - Move the 'Hardware acceleration' slider one or two notches to the left.
    - Click OK (twice).
    If this doesn't help, you can restore the original setting. Perhaps a repair install of Office is then in order.

Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to crop large screenshot that caused horizontal scrolling - please don't attach pictures over 640 x 480 pixels.

Hi Hans,

I have modified the graphics card setting as you have suggested...no differences were noted.
    I have attached a file showing how Word displays the picture after inserting it.

I will however try a repair and if unsuccessful, a re install and see if the problems are resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Before doing a reinstall, try if selecting a different printer makes your problem go away. I you have no other printer in you printer list, just install one from Start, "printers and faxes".
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment deleted by HansV because it was much too large and looked the same as the previous one.

Hi, I have changed the printer from HP 970 cxi to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer with the same result. Please see attached file.

Best regards.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Pity. It was worth the try though.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

I think I know what you mean. I too sometimes get an empty shape when I place something from the drawing tool bar on the worksheet (draw a box, for example). In my case, the reason is always because the default shape format is set for 'no border' and with a white or transparent background, you'll never see it unless it's selected. You can set the default properties for the drawing tool bar shapes. This sets the properties for all future shapes until you say otherwise.

To see if this is your problem, make sure the drawing tool bar is visible, then select a the Rectangle and draw some shape. While the object is still selected (black boxes on its outer edges), right click and choose 'Format Autoshape'. Now select some wild color and outline property, press OK. Now go back to the worksheet and re-select the shape you just modified but now right-click and choose 'set autoshape defaults'. This will change the default properties for all future shapes (from the drawing tool bar) to the new color you chose.

Since the colors you chose probably aren't ones you'd use all the time, I find it easier to set a default to be something very obvious so it shows on the sheet as well as reminding me that I need to change the color/line properties of this new shape.

Maybe your autoshape default was set to be transparent and no line which would make it invisible (although you'd know it's there since it sits on top of the gridlines.

Deb