Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

HouseCall Question

Here's a "war story" if there ever was one and maybe a lesson for novices everywhere. I have an acquaintance at the nursing home who has a computer that she has left sitting idle for about a year (I think since her divorce). She recently reactivated it, signed on with a dialup internet provider and after an "OK" period suddenly found that IE would not "connect" to the web and she would get page not found errors. She happens to be a physical therapist who helps my wife every day, so I've been giving her a step-by-step "homework" assignment every day for the past few days, such as AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster and so on, which I put on a CD for her since she had lost connectivity. Well, we're 95% of the way home-free and I'm recommending that she buy a copy of Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security because of its ease of use and bundled firewall. BTW, she now does have IE working again and I won't bore you with what the show-stopper was except to say that AdAware SE found 980 bad guys and following that Spybot found an additional 60-plus items! The lady does have two teens in her household - no surprise, huh? She has NO antivirus program presently, so I suggested she do a FREE scan with HouseCall - which I've never needed to use.

So, now the question: Does HouseCall, if it finds anything, remove, quarantine or otherwise disable any problem viruses or trojans it finds, or is it an advert for buying the "real" product?

Thanks

Re: HouseCall Question

Housecall should let you clean (if possible) or delete any malware it finds. You also could download the Damage Cleanup Engine / Template --scroll down to the Sysclean part, for those without PC-cillin installed -- and burn that to CD. I believe you also need to download the latest pattern file and put that in the specified folder in order for Sysclean to detect the latest stuff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jefferson. I'll give that to her in the morning and we'll see how it goes.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have found Trendmicro's House Call a godsend and regularly recommend it as a way for folk to clean up their machines.

The only issue I have with it is that it takes an awfully long time to download using a dialup connection. In that case, I download the latest trial ware version and burn it to CD.

When you go to install the program, it will do a complete check of the system to ensure it is indatlling on a clean machine. You dont have to continue with the installation if you dont want to.

This method also allows you to clean the infected files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good idea, thanks! Maybe I should burn the trial version to a CD for her, since she IS on dialup and I'm recommending she buy it as well.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al

You need to check that it updates to the latest AV level when starting - but it would be surprising if it didn't...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm hoping you're correct, John. There is a statement when you get to the trial download page that says: "The Service Pack ensures the new pattern format can be supported in the version." So, I've downloaded the service pack as well and put it on her CD. I also plan to tell her (this afternoon) to check that the "pattern file" in her copy is at least 584 which the trial site says is the latest. Strangely, MY copy is still sitting at 582 and that is a first! It's always been right up to snuff, so I'm going to (try to) update it manually. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

If that is the service pack released 12-18 months ago, it will not be needed. PC-cillin 2005 already uses the new pattern files.

By the way, if you click through Microsoft's third party antivirus software page, you can get 50% off PC-cillin or a 6-month trial: Security Software: Downloads and Trials

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, thank you! Now <big>that</big> discount is worth passing along. It seems that the other physical therapists, listening to my daily tutorials with this one lady, have gotten up their nerve to chime in. It seems I NOW have THREE newbies who have "corrupt" systems and they're taking turns with my provided CDs and written instructions. A nice discount will probably make all three of them very happy. Thanks again, Jefferson!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...Strangely, MY copy is still sitting at 582... <hr>
    (from my own post to which I'm replying)

This may be of some interest to users of PC-cillin 2005 who "happen" to download a trial version as I did. My lament above that mine had somehow stopped updating may have been a result of having downloaded the trial version. I have tried several times to get my pattern files to update, the update seems to run, and then closes with the message that I'm already at the latest level (#582 is what my status said). I could plainly see (yesterday) that their web site says #584. This morning I had another popup for updating, allowed it to go ahead with the same result (already current) and the web site NOW says #586 is current.

I was about to query their support and when I logged in to my Customer Care account, I got a message from my Sygate firewall that "...PC-cillin has changed... etc." so I click the always allow button. Within seconds, PC-cillin's update window opened again and THIS time, I HAVE been updated to #586. In conclusion I think the downloading of the trial changed some "signals" in my account that was causing the strange behaviour. I'm glad I noticed it. (PS I downloaded the trial under a "shopping" email address I use for potential throw-away, so I suppose that could have caused it.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think this is unusual for many such applications. Sometimes a "major" update includes updating the program/ engine to a newer version, which is the only one that can then operate with newly released sig. files. Such has been the case with AVG and others I've used.

Alan