Thread: month (2003)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

month (2003)

I have a query that contains a date/time field that when run, I want to enter a month and year and have the data returned only for that month and year. I would like the use to be able to enter Jan04 or Jan 04.

thanks,
    Jackal

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: month (2003)

You will need to do some date calculations to achieve that - and you will have to subvert some of the inherent Access capability. I would be inclined to put the criteria on a form and use combo boxes to force only valid months and years to be chosen. Then you can do the date calculations and set the criteria for the query in VBA.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

For this type of thing, I usually do what Wendell suggests, use comboboxes on form to list valid date ranges for month and year (in some cases, if not all months will have data, the Month combo is "filtered" by the value in Year combo). But if you want to do this using query parameters, you could use something like this example (uses Northwind "Orders" table):

PARAMETERS [Enter Mon/Year (mmm-yy):] Text ( 255 );
    SELECT Orders.OrderID, Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.ShippedDate
    FROM Orders
    WHERE (((Month([OrderDate]))=IIf(IsDate("01/" & Left$([Enter Mon/Year (mmm-yy):],3) & "/2000"),Month("01/" & Left$([Enter Mon/Year (mmm-yy):],3) & "/2000"),0)) AND ((Year([OrderDate]))=IIf(IsDate("01/01/" & Right$([Enter Mon/Year (mmm-yy):],2)),Year("01/01/" & Right$([Enter Mon/Year (mmm-yy):],2)),0)))
    ORDER BY Orders.OrderDate, Orders.ShippedDate;

In this example the month and year are entered as a text string which is parsed by the two expressions used as WHERE criteria to create constructive dummy dates that are evaluated by Month and Year functions. Note that the two expressions use the same parameter so user only has to enter once. As long as first 3 characters equate to a month and the final 2 characters equate to a valid year the query should work as intended. The following parameter values produced valid results:

jan 98
    feb-97
    APR98
    JAN1997
    Dec 97
    OCT::1996

These parameter values resulted in an empty result set:

abc 00
    xyz 3
    ?

The convoluted IIf statements and IsDate function are used to avoid dreaded "The expression is too complex to be evaluated" and "Object is no longer valid" error messages. Note I am using a standard US-English installation of Access; it is possible the SQL would have to be modified in some other locales.

HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Nice job Mark, I was looking for this and was afraid to ask.