3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back up Outlook (Office 2003)

I get an error message when I try to back-up Outlook.
    This is what it says: Cannot copy Outlook: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
    How do I unlock whatever is locked?

Thanks

Re: Back up Outlook (Office 2003)

Another program apparently still is using your PST file. Assuming you are running Windows XP, display the Task Manager's processes tab and locate outlook.exe. Is it still there? If so, this is a bit easier. Slide the Task Manager window so that you can just see outlook.exe and start closing applications that might be related, such as Word, Internet Explorer, PDA sync programs, smartphone mail push programs, etc. This usually can be done by using their File>Exit commands or, for programs in the system tray (near the clock), their right-click menus. Let the computer settle down in between so that if you can tell which one was running Outlook in the background. If it wasn't any of them, maybe Outlook crashed at some point?

If outlook.exe isn't in the Task Manager, then some program may have its hooks in the PST. I'm not sure of any convenient way to determine that. If you use NTFS format on your hard drive, you can turn on auditing for the PST file. In theory, that should log information about how it is accessed, but I've never tried it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usually there will be two entries related to Outlook when you check.... the one that is easy to spot is OUTLOOK.EXE and the one that is less obvious which is MAPISP32.EXE. The PST will be unavailable for copying or other actions if either of these are active.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

I wonder what program starts MAPISP32.EXE? I don't have it running and I've had Outlook 2003 open for at least 48 hours. Hmmm...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google is your friend......

"mapisp32.exe is a process which loaded with Microsoft Exchange and Outlook and deals with mainly MAPI messages which these programs deal with. It is essential for the smooth running of these applications and should not be disabled unless it is suspected of causing problems"

On my home Win98SE PII slug it is found here:
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMapi103395MAPISP32.EXE

At work on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 and some Outlook 2000 installations in an Exchange environment we all have it running.

-Jester

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Weird - I remember seeing it running on 2000 and prior systems, but Task Manager doesn't show it in the process list in 2003 on XP.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will confirm when I get in to work tomorrow as I have both 2000 and 2003 on machines in my cubby. Maybe it is only on the 2K installs. I have been known to fog up on the inside of both my glasses and my brain.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since I was curious I remoted into work and confirmed you are right. The XP with 2003 has mapisp32.exe in the Cptions ........103395 and 1033NT folders but not in the program common files folder for Office 2003 as it is found with 2000.

What did we bet? Oh, right. I bet that I probably was using fuzzy logic.

-Jester