Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE5 annoying problem

I have a small but annoying problem with Outlook Express 5. Whenever I double click on the OE5 desktop icon to open the program up, I get a box which says:

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site file://cPROGRA~1INTERN~1Signupoutlook.html. The system cannot find the file specified."

The retailers who sold us our computer downloaded a version of IE5 off a CD sponsored by some commercial organisation - we are no longer on speaking terms with them, so cannot get a copy of this CD. The dialogue box above has come up ever since I upgraded to a newer version of IE5, which I downloaded off the MS site. The dialogue box obviously has something to do with remnants from the IE5 version from the commercial CD.

Interestingly, when I downloaded the latest version of IE5.5, the box stopped appearing, but recently I followed the advice of Woody's Office Watch and downgraded back to IE5.1 with SP1 (which, incidentally, I do find faster, more stable and less problematic than IE5.5). Since reverting to IE5.1, the box has come back. I want to keep IE5.1, but hate this box. Would be grateful for instructions (simple, please!) on how to get rid of it once and for all.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE5 annoying problem

search your registry for the filename -
    start menu > run > regedit
    search for: Signupoutlook.html

delete that value if it exists (as the full path listed in the error).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary, but I don't know how to search once I'm past the start menu > run > regedit stage...?!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

edit menu > find. typing in the part of the url, F3 to repeat if it actually finds one. it might be better for you to rename it for now by adding an extra letter to the end instead. right click on the entry on the right side of the screen and choose rename.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary - found and deleted - problem fixed! Elated!

Cheers,

Ross