4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000 Server Domain Setup Guide

Hi,

Does anyone know of resource on the web than can talk a user through the process of configuring windows 2000 server to a domain setup as apposed to a workgroup setup?
    Best Regards,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 Server Domain Setup Guide

You mean different from suggesting they build it as a member of a (dummy) workgroup while it is not connected to the LAN, then getting an Administrator to join it to the domain once it is LAN-connected?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No,

If anyone has produced a "idiots" guide to setting one up on a new server?

Luke
    Best Regards,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Luke

With the greatest of respect, might I suggest that setting up a Windows 2000 server is best done by someone with sufficient experience to make the choices that will be required along the way? It is not the sort of thing I would want to entrust to a "user" (if that is what you mean). The most likely places where decisions are needed/problems may occur is in the networking and in the security aspects of server setup -- and this is where experience and knowledge are required to get a good result. (That's why systems administrators/techies are still necessary!!).

John

PS I've left out a number of other aspects, such as:
    * ensuring that security and other fixes and service packs are applied very shortly after they are available
    * backup and recovery of the server -- plans and tests
    * accurate documentation of what has been installed, what options have been chosen, and so on
    * monitoring of server performance, hard disk space, event log messages, and so on
    * other things I've forgotten!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to save myself some time and being lazy I suppose. without having to travel to another office where a new server will be setup and writing my own instructions. We have a person at the office who is reasonable but not a techie on PC's. Looks like the server will have to come to me first and then be sent to the other office [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img].

Anyway thanks.
    Best Regards,

Luke