5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

templates & 'DOT' (2003)

When I save a template in my workgroup files location, Word always (and correctly) adds the extension "dot". However, when I select File|New then templates on my computer, I would like to see my templates identified by name only - without the DOT extension.

Is this possible? IF so, how do I make it happen?

Thanks

Re: templates & 'DOT' (2003)

There is a global option in Windows Explorer to hide or show file extensions, but this is global to all file lists in Windows. I think it even applies to attachments in Outlook. Normally, it is best to know the file extension, but if you want to turn them off globally, you can visit Tools>Folder Options..., View tab and choose to hide extensions for known file types.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but that is not exactly what I am looking for. Actually, I like to see everything in Explorer... I just don't want to see the dot extension within the word template box when i create a new document.

I notice that the templates provided by Microsoft do not have the extension - see attached graphic. I would like for my templates to presented the same way. Notice in the graphic that the general tab shows the .dot and the letters and fax tab (that comes with Word) does not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid your wish cannot be fulfilled. The display of the built-in templates does not reflect the actual file/folder names, Word uses smoke and mirrors to present what you see. For your own templates, the display is governed by the general Windows settings.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this will help, but I keep all my custom templates in a folder separated from Office. Then, in the folder normally used to store such templates, I create shortcuts that point to the templates. You can use any descriptive text you want for a shortcut. For instance "Body Corporate Certificate (Form 3)" points to "F:Office TemplatesFORM 3.dot"

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images