2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

error message (2002)

I am getting a Microsoft error message "Microsoft Access has encountered an error...Please tell MIcrosoft the problem.." when I try from one WinXP to open a database that is located on a network drive. When I look at the folder where the database is located I see two copies of the database. One has a lock on it.

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error message (2002)

In Windows Explorer, select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the View tab.
    Make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is NOT ticked.
    One of the files in the folder should have extension .mdb; this is the database. The other should have extension .ldb; this is the lock file. See if you can delete this file; if not, restart your PC and try again. If you still can't, and if the files are on a network folder, consult your network administrator.
    If you have successfully deleted the .ldb file, try to open the database again. If you still get errors, the database is probably corrupt.
    You may be able to import some or all of the tables, queries etc. into a new blank database.
    If not, going back to a recent non-corrupt backup copy is your best bet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is more to the story. I had hoped getting rid of the locked file would solve the problem. I can not run this database only from this computer. The database opens to the switchboard but as soon as I select a form to open, I get an error message. I can open other databases from this computer. I can run the database from other computers with no problem.

I have tried several things:

I checked the computer for viruses and spyware.
    I tried renaming the database and running it.
    I copied the database to the desktop of the computer and tried to run it. No good.
    I removed and reinstalled Office. - No good.
    I completely wiped the computer hard drive and reinstalled everything. No good.

End result is that I have spent a lot of time and effort and am no better off.
    I question whether the database is corrupt if I can run it from other computers.

Any new ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have sufficient permissions in the folder containing the database? Access requires that you have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) in the folder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What version of Windows is on this computer and how else might this computer differ from the others? Assuming that when you say "the same database", you mean that literally (i.e., either a copy from another computer where it runs or a shared database file on a network) the the problem may be on the machine. How does the problem database compare with the others in terms of size, complexity, data source, etc.? After the error, have you checked the task manager to be sure the MSACCESS.EXE process has terminated? If it hasn't, that will definitely cause the problem.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes , I am sure all permissions are granted. Also when I login as this person on another computer the database works perfectly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem computer is running WinXP SP2. I have run the database successfully on other WinXP and W2000 machines. All machines are opening the same network based file located on a server. The problem database is not that complex. More complex databases are working properly from the problem machine. I will go check the task manager issue.

Thanks

Do you have any ActiveX controls or any 'non-standard' references in the database?

I do recall several years ago having a problem with one machine in our workroom, which turned out to be a versioning issue with Calendar.ocx.

The other possibility (now we are REALLY clutching at straws!) was a problem we had with one machine which kept resetting its system date. The motherboard battery was toast and the database had some date-sensitive routines in it so it did some weird things!
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro